What I wish I knew when I started at Weber State

Staff member Kennedy Camarena.

Writers: 2024 senior students in The Signpost and Studio 76

Every senior at Weber State University has been a new student at some point. Whether they started their freshman year or transferred later on, everyone starts somewhere. The university’s graduating seniors from the media department have shared some words to help new WSU students get through their first year as a Wildcat.

Kennedy Camarena, editor-in-chief:
I wish I knew that you don’t have to finish your degree at the same pace as others. Everyone studies at their own pace. Life happens and sometimes you need to take a break from school or even finish some credits somewhere else. Make sure to find a community of some sort while you are in college too. Those extracurricular activities are fun and they can teach you things that your classes might not be able to teach you.

Lexie Andrew, culture desk co-editor
As hard as you work, play just as hard. I buckled into my degree and education and didn’t give myself time to enjoy college and live. You only get to experience college once in your life, so enjoy it while it lasts. Still work hard in school, but make sure you balance out that hard work with some play. Find those times to live and enjoy life. That will help keep college fun and help you not burn out.

Adam Montgomery, editor at Large
I wish I had known how many friends I would make. During my first few semesters, I didn’t fully engage in campus life, but once I did, I formed multiple connections and lifelong friendships. Establishing that sense of community became crucial for me later on, and various aspects of my life truly began to thrive. If only I had realized that there was a whole network of people out there waiting for me, I could have experienced that sense of belonging much earlier.

Gretel Monjar, assistant news editor
Weber really is “Great! Great! Great!”

Continuing your education can be intimidating and scary, but you’re made for this. You’ll develop the skills and knowledge you need on the way. You don’t have to know it all now–that’s not how it works.

Get to know your professors. Build friendly professional relationships. They will be your mentors and guides. And get to know your classmates too. Having a friend in a class makes it easier (and more fun!)

Take advantage of all the resources on campus. Learn them early and use them often.

Be kind to yourself, and be excited.

Studio 76
Natalya Vega, dedicated videographer/editor:
Reach out to staff more. Like, professors and faculty around [Studio 76.] They’re always really supportive. They’re really supportive of anything, even outside of academics, they’ll help you when you’re going through something and they all understand it, they just want to support you. So, take advantage of that.

Andrew Kyed, director of outreach and belonging:
You’re going to grow a lot in college, like, as a person. It’s going to suck a little bit, but it’s also going to be really, really fun. So, be ready to be challenged, be ready to learn, but also be ready for some difficulties. Because that happens in college, but you’ll be better because of it.

Lieb Kuich, executive operations manager:
Be more social. Talk to more people. My first few years before I became a communications major, I just hung out in the Shepherd Union by myself between classes. Then I became a communications major, I stuck around the ‘cat cave’ and made a lot of friends through there. I feel like I know everyone in the communications digital media department, they all know me, and it’s just a great time honestly having all of these friends around.

Alex Perry
Find ways to get involved with other people, with organizations, find ways that make you happy to be at college. As opposed to, ‘I have to take another class, I have to go do my homework.’ Don’t let yourself get stuck in the monotony of having no life aside from just work and schoolwork. Find things that make you excited to be there and people that make you excited to be there.

Weber State University’s KWCR radio station was asked to take part in giving freshmen advice they wished they had known when they were freshmen. However, the station does not have any seniors currently taking that class at this time, according to KWCR’s Program Director, Rachel Daughters.