Letter from the editor

We, The Signpost, are proud of the fact that we are one of the few universities in Utah that publishes translations consistently.

Weber State University has a high number of students who come from multiple cultural backgrounds. According to Weber State Financial Services, in the year 2022-2023 WSU had 73.8% white students, 11.8% Hispanic students, 2.4% Asian and Pacific Islander students, 1.4% African American students and 0.4% Native American students.

In order to share stories with everyone in the Ogden community, it is important for our newspaper to translate articles into different languages.

Having stories available in different languages is not just important for the students, but for the students’ families as well. Students are able to bring The Signpost home to their families to read when those family members only speak a certain language, so they are able to understand what is happening in the Ogden area and at WSU through their native language.

Making sure students at WSU are able to read stories in their native language is a vital part of The Signpost. Even if our readers are able to read stories written in English, it is important for the student body to feel more welcome and closer to the stories at WSU while also feeling seen.