Cultural craftsmanship

Jennifer Duenaz twirling her skirt.

Hispanic and Latino vendors shared their craftsmanship and a look into their culture and heritage at el Mercadito. El Mercadito was on Oct. 4 and 5 at Weber State University.

Monica Rodriguez, a multicultural counselor for Hispanic and Latino heritage, said that on the first day, they had 11 vendors with WSU students participating all day. The last day they had less vendors but students still participated. Rodriguez loved seeing the students support these vendors.

Vendors sold handcrafted bags, wallets and shoes, along with panchos, jewelry and more. There was also a Venezuelan musician group that played for students near the end of the market.

Angie Cowan worked at one of the booths and said her products come from people in Guatemala, and each has a story. Cowan said it’s not fast fashion; each piece took time and is quality work that will stand throughout time.

The goal for el Mercadito and Hispanic Heritage month was to highlight the Hispanic and Latino community and culture on and off campus.

Rodriguez said that, this month, they wanted to share Hispanic and Latino culture with WSU students and also show that WSU is becoming an emerging university.

An emerging university means the university is going to try and retain the Hispanic and Latino students until graduation. To help those students get to graduation.

Rodriguez wanted students to know it does not mean that they have to learn Spanish and make it a part of their degree, just that the university welcomes all Hispanic and Latino students and will try to help them to graduation.

The month also brings people from the community together to celebrate and shows Hispanic and Latino people they are welcome on campus.

“Inviting the community outside of the school is important because we have high schools that are all almost hispanic students,” Rachel Asencio, WSU Hispanic senator, said. “So inviting the Hispanic community outside kind of shows them it’s a welcome place for the Hispanic community to come to college.”

Students and the community can see the culture the Hispanic and Latino community is sharing with them. The lively energy they have. When music is playing, they celebrate and dance and get loud to try and bring even more people together and with them.

El Mercadito and Hispanic Heritage Month is also a time to celebrate the ancestors that brought them here.

“For the individuals that you’re celebrating their culture, I think it’s not just for the people here but for them to honor their ancestors,” Cowan said.

Their ancestors each went through different trials to get to where they’re family is today. Hispanic Heritage month is a time to celebrate their culture but also honor their ancestors who brought them to where they are today.

Cowan said students should look into their roots to see their history because someone brought their family to the United States, and it’s important to recognize the sacrifices that person might have had to make.