Getting some fresh advice

J.W. Marriott Allied Health Sciences Building on Ogden campus.

Whether students are starting their freshman year or returning for their graduating year, college can be very intimidating. Some students may even find themselves scared and unsure of how to approach all the different tasks and responsibilities.

But Weber State University is full of experienced individuals, who have already gone through college. They are everywhere on campus and see almost everything. Your professors and the school’s faculty and staff all are filled with knowledge and advice.

Staff and faculty members of Weber were asked what advice they would tell new incoming students and what they would tell their younger freshman selves.

Some professors provided a hopeful insight on what Weber has to give.

Alan Ferrin, manager of Creative Academic Technology Solutions, said to his freshman self “…take advantage of student resources.” Ferrin also said the school offers so much to students to help with their time at college.

Aminda O’Hare, the director of the neuroscience program and psychology science faculty, would tell herself to get involved with programs and clubs on campus.

Camille Mortensen, nurse and wife of Weber president Brad Mortensen, shared similar sentiments. Telling herself to experience college life, take fun classes and get involved in campus activities.

Others provided a more personal message.

Jim Craig, director of the Browning Center, would tell his younger self to pace himself, saying he “bit off more than he can chew.” A professor of his helped him to regulate his time and energy to not overwork himself.

Mary Owen, administrative specialist of botany and plant ecology, told herself to seek out advising and to trust it.

Amber Smith, costume studio assistant, said to herself she is very smart but doesn’t know as much as she thinks she does. That she should be more open-minded. She also said to students that you “…get out what you put into it.” To make sure you are taking initiative and using the support provided.

Even after this advice there are still hundreds of professors and faculty to ask for advice and their own college experiences.

“Don’t be afraid to ask questions, even if you’re scared of the answer,” Tim Black, assistant professor of biopsychology, said.