A pantry for all

Cans and boxes of food sit with fruits in the back of the pantry.

Weber Cares Pantry has been fighting food insecurity at Weber State University for the past 11 years. According to a Move For Hunger study, over 370,000 Utah residents experience food insecurity every year. Healthaffairs.org did a study that revealed 29% of college students at four-year universities experience food insecurity.

Weber Cares Pantry is dedicated to help students get the nutrition they need.

“We provide meals and food for those experiencing food insecurity,” Mohammed Al Hagri, Weber Cares Pantry student coordinator, said.

The pantry is located in the Stewart Library, room 224, and is open on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Al Hagri said there is no shame in needing assistance or experiencing hunger. The pantry is open to donations and volunteers to help extend their efforts even further. Donations and volunteer applications can be done on the Weber Cares Pantry page on the WSU website.

In addition to the pantry, students who are experiencing food insecurity or homelessness can find help off-campus. The Lantern House, Griffin Memorial Church, Catholic Community Services of Northern Utah, Hope Resurrected Church and the LDS Bishop’s Storehouse and Cannery all offer assistance to those in need.

“The best part is seeing the smiles on people’s faces,” Al Hagri said.

Weber Cares Pantry will continue to help students experiencing hunger and food insecurity. Assistance is available and there is no shame or embarrassment in asking for help.

#foodinsecurity #hunger #webercares #webercarespantry #homelessness