Make me a sandwich, human

7-19 Real Men Can Cook (Emily Crooks) (19 of 23).jpg
Men from the Ogden Police Department make pork sliders at Real Men Can Cook at Ogden's City Hall Park on Tuesday, July 19. (Emily Crooks / The Signpost)

The YCC Family Crisis’s mission statement is centered on helping those in the community, and on July 19, the organization was able to accomplish just that by orchestrating their 25th Annual “Real Men Can Cook” event.

The idea that real men can cook breaks the unnecessary stereotype that the man is the breadwinner and should come home to a home-cooked meal prepared by the woman in the house.

“Real men can cook means that everyone can cook, not just women” said Carmen Lopez, a senior student at the Clearfield Job Corps. “Men can cook too.”

With this particular event, there was also a deeper meaning to the theme. Yes, it brought awareness to the idea that anyone can cook, but there was an underlying message as well.

“It’s men deciding that they have an integral rule in helping people who are victims of domestic violence,” said Lee Hougton. “I know it’s kind of a play off this day and age that men can’t cook and women should be cooking, but, to me, it has a deeper meaning where we are actually participating in something meaningful.”

7-19 Real Men Can Cook (Emily Crooks).jpg
Russ Judd and Lee Hougton of YESCO pose beside their Gautemalan summer salad dish at Real Men Can Cook at Ogden's City Hall Park on Tuesday, July 19. (Emily Crooks / The Signpost)

This deeper meaning goes hand-in-hand with YCC’s mission to “save and change lives” by providing support and to enhance the quality of life for all women, children and families, with opportunities and education to achieve goals and find hope on the road to self-sufficiency.

“We see everything that goes on out there,” Glen Buss of the Ogden Police Department said. “It’s an honor to be able to help out the YCC and the men that are out there who are willing to show women the respect that they deserve.”

7-19 Real Men Can Cook (Emily Crooks) (10 of 23).jpg
(Emily Crooks / The Signpost)

Josh Hoellein of US Food and board member of “Real Men Can Cook” summed up the atmosphere: “Real men can cook is all about showing our love and passion for food,” he said. “It helps prevent abuse, just because there is that cliche that real men don’t cook. Well, men do cook, and they probably should do more cooking at home to help. Most families have two incomes, and most of the women are also working, so the men need to step out and learn as well.”

7-19 Real Men Can Cook (Emily Crooks) (1 of 23).jpg
Members of US Foods and Weber ATC pose beside their dish of Panzanilla salad at Real Men Can Cook at Ogden's City Hall Park on Tuesday, July 19. (Emily Crooks / The Signpost)
7-19 Real Men Can Cook (Emily Crooks) (2 of 23).jpg
A panzanilla salad dish, made by US Foods and Weber ATC, at Real Men Can Cook at Ogden's City Hall Park on Tuesday, July 19. (Emily Crooks / The Signpost)

All of this might sound like a very serious mission to accomplish — and it is — but even with something so serious, everyone seemed to be having fun.

“Real Men Can Cook means we have an opportunity to interact with the public,” said Luis Lopez of the Ogden City Council. “And we get to have fun, and we get to contribute to a great cause here in the YCC.”

7-19 Real Men Can Cook (Emily Crooks) (18 of 23).jpg
Luis Lopez of the Ogden City Council serves guests of the Real Men Can Cook competition at Ogden's City Hall Park on Tuesday, July 19. (Emily Crooks / The Signpost)

Awards were given for best main dish, side dish and dessert.

The main dish award went to Hilton Garden Inn in Ogden for their prime rib sliders.

The best side dish went to Ogden City Counsel for their rosemary cilantro potatoes.

And the best dessert went to Clearfield Job Corps Center for their parfaits.