Cheap Weekly: Local theaters provide quality entertainment

WSU_SheLovesMe Pre-Publicity Photo Shoot FINAL 2
The promotional poster for “She Loves Me.” WSU Theater students will perform Tony Award-winning “She Loves Me” through Oct. 11. (Source: Christie Denniston)

Buying tickets for professional shows in big theaters isn’t often affordable for most students. However, students don’t have to go to Salt Lake City and pay the big theater ticket prices to experience theatrical productions. There are many community theaters right here in Ogden that offer entertainment to students at a fraction of big-city theater prices.

There are three shows opening Oct. 3 at local community theaters and here on campus. WSU’s theater department will be premiering “She Loves Me,” a charming love story similar to the 1998 film “You’ve Got Mail.” The Ziegfeld Theater on 40th Street and Washington will be opening their run of “Shrek The Musical.” Beverly’s Terrace Plaza Playhouse will begin showing their production of “Little Shop of Horrors.”

Much like “You’ve Got Mail,” “She Loves Me” is about two coworkers, Georg and Amalia, who cannot seem to cooperate. However, they soon learn they are each other’s loving pen pals. Though they bicker and fight their connection, the two eventually discover that love can come in the most peculiar way.

Beginning Friday, Oct. 3, “She Loves Me” will run Oct. 4 and Oct. 7 through Oct. 11 at 7:30 p.m. with a matinee on Oct. 11 at 2 p.m. There will also be an American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation performance on Oct. 4. Guests interested should contact the Val. A Browning center for ASL tickets. Tickets are $12 for adults or $10 for children, seniors and members of the military.

Part romantic comedy, part twisted fairy tale, “Shrek The Musical” is about a reclusive ogre on a quest to reclaim his swamp after Lord Farquaad kicks all of the magical creatures out of his kingdom, Duloc, and into Shrek’s swamp. Along the way, Shrek meets the talkative and annoying Donkey, as well as the headstrong Princess Fiona. Each on a quest for freedom, they find that what they need is often not what they expect or thought they wanted.

Opening Oct.3, “Shrek The Musical” will be performed at the Ziegfeld Theater every Friday and Saturday through Nov. 8. Monday performances will begin Oct. 20 and Saturday matinees will begin Oct. 25 and go through the rest of the run. Evening performances start at 7:30 p.m. and matinees will begin at 2 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for children, students and seniors. A $2 fee will be added to tickets bought at the door.

Perfect for the Halloween season, Beverly’s Terrace Plaza Playhouse will be presenting the comedy-horror rock-musical “Little Shop of Horrors.” The production is centered on Seymour Krelborn, a poor young man, Audrey, a pretty young woman and their mishaps with a mysterious plant that looks like a large Venus flytrap. Through the course of the production, the strange plant, named Audrey II by Seymour, convinces it’s caretaker to feed it first human blood, and eventually three of the characters in the production.

Located at 99 E. 4700 S., Washington Terrace, tickets are $12 to 14 for adults, $11 to $13 for students and seniors and $11 to $9 for children 12 years old and younger.

Great theater doesn’t have to be expensive, especially when students stay local and take advantage of the discount their WSU ID provides.