Book lovers unite at Davis campus

SONY DSC
The Reading Cafe book club discussed James Dashner’s “The Maze Runner” for their first meeting. The club’s next meeting will take place on Oct. 23. (Photo By: Rachel Badali)

Once a month, book lovers unite to discuss storylines during the newly-formed Reading Café book club at Weber State University’s Davis campus.

“I really love reading and I’ve been in a lot of book clubs, so I felt like it was a really good fit to start one here that the students could enjoy,” said Rebecca Thornock, administrative specialist for Student Involvement and Leadership.

The book club held their first meeting on Thursday and discussed “The Maze Runner” by James Dashner.

Thornock said she chose the book based on interest and how it ranked as a best-seller.

“I’m trying to keep it more fun and light,” Thornock said.  “I’m not opposed to reading something more serious, but, just to get started, I’m hoping to create a place where people want to come and just have fun.”

Thornock explained that the club’s atmosphere is very laid back. Participants can talk about the book’s ideas and characters, or just use the time to relax and enjoy themselves.

Traci Jacobson, the Student Involvement and Leadership office assistant, attended the club’s first meeting. Jacobson said she is a self-proclaimed book lover who reads at least three books every week.

“Everybody gets something different from a book,” Jacobson said. “When you read it, everybody’s going to interpret it differently and it can kind of change your view to hear what other people thought of the book.”

Jacobson said that although she didn’t like “The Maze Runner,” she enjoyed discussing it and hearing other’s opinions.

The book club will be discussing “Midwinter Blood” by Marcus Sedgwick in October and “Trust Me, I’m Lying” by Mary Elizabeth Summer in November.

Although the books for this semester have already been chosen, Thornock said she is open to suggestions for next semester’s reading options.

Students can get their free copy of the select month’s book by visiting the Student Involvement and Leadership office.

“I’m excited about the books,” said Natalie Barcelo, the Davis campus vice president. “They’re not books that I would typically pick up, but now I have a reason to read them and come and talk about them with somebody.”

Barcelo said the book club can also be a good time to unwind.

“I think reading is really relaxing,” Barcello said. “So if you can relax while reading a book and then come talk about it with people who also read the book, that’s really nice.”

The first book club had a total of six members, but Thornock said she would love to see the numbers grow.

“I know it’s a bit of a trek from Ogden, but it’s just so fun down here and we’d love to see everybody come out,” Thornock said. “I’m looking forward to the potential to have a really great crowd.”

Future book club meetings will be held on Oct. 23 and Nov. 20 at 2:30 p.m. in the Student Involvement and Leadership office in Building D3, suite 221.

“It’s a great opportunity to meet other people who share the same interests as you,” Barcelo said.  “Just come give it a try.”