Softball drops series finale to ISU

(Source: Weber State Athletics)
Weber State University junior Mylee Davis gets ready to bat in a game earlier this season. Davis had two home runs for the Wildcats against Idaho State University on Saturday.

The rain wasn’t the only thing falling Saturday morning. The Weber State University softball team fell to the Bengals of Idaho State University 20-4 in five innings. Once the runs started, the Wildcats struggled to slow down the hard-hitting Bengals.

The 16-run loss was the worst in team history, and the third time the Wildcats have allowed 20 or more runs. The loss dropped the Wildcats’ record to 19-17, 2-7 in Big Sky Conference play.

“A change of momentum was the difference, and we didn’t make the change,” said head coach Mary Kay Amicone. “(The Bengals) are a really good team, and if you don’t stop their hitting momentum, then it could be a long day. You can’t keep giving up two-run shots. If you are not putting on competitive pitches, then you are going to get beat.”

One of the bright spots for the Wildcats was from junior catcher Mylee Davis, who homered twice over the center-field fence, bringing three runs across the plate. She accounted for half of the team’s four hits, as she finished the game with a perfect two-for-two.

“I was just trying to focus on hitting the sweet spot and not really where it went,” Davis said. “I was just trying to make contact and help my team out. Our team did a good job of hitting pitches with confidence.”

Wildcat starting pitcher MaCauley Flint gave up an early home run in the first inning as the rain continued to pour. After sitting down the rest of the batters, the Wildcats were primed to erase the early-game deficit, but that didn’t happen. After throwing a few pitchers, the umpire felt the rain was affecting the game too much and delayed the game until the rain stopped and the field could be raked.

After a nearly 30-minute rain delay, the Wildcats tied the score in the bottom of the first inning as Jasmine Ioane brought in Malia Campos on a triple. It seemed as if the Wildcats had momentum going into the following innings, but the teams exchanged runs in the second inning and entered the third inning at 3-3.

But in the top of the third, the Bengals were able to get to Flint, as she gave up two more runs before the coaching staff pulled her. The Bengals added two more runs and then held the Wildcats scoreless in the bottom half of the inning.

The fourth inning was all Bengals. The 11 runs they scored all but put the nail in the coffin. The Wildcats had a hard time getting themselves out of the inning, which was filled with errors and the Bengals spreading the ball around the field. The Wildcats had a hard time keeping the ball inside the park during that inning as the Bengals showed why they are one of the best power-hitting teams in the conference.

The Wildcats will now head to Grand Forks, N.D., for a three-game series with the University of North Dakota. The series will begin on April 11.