Signpost staff brings home awards

(Photo by Raychel Johnson) The Signpost placed in four separate categories at the Better Newspaper Contest presented by the Utah Press Association Saturday evening.
(Photo by Raychel Johnson) The Signpost placed in four separate categories at The Better Newspaper Contest presented by the Utah Press Association on Saturday evening.

Saturday night in St. George, Utah, representatives from Utah newspapers gathered for an awards ceremony recognizing excellence in journalism from across the state. Known for being an award-winning student news organization, The Signpost was recognized in four separate categories at The Better Newspaper Contest presented by the Utah Press Association.

The Signpost competed in Group 2, against professional newspapers such as The Vernal Express and the Sanpete Messenger. Winning third place for the best general news story was former assistant news editor Rosie Gerrish for her article “Midwestern tornadoes may be symptom of changing climate.”

Lead copy editor Stephanie Simonson placed second in the best editors/features column category for her column “Simonson Says: Is same-sex marriage a ‘conservative cause’?”

Assistant sports editor Tyson Jex won third place for his column “The Jex Dex: For love of the game . . . or money?”

Sports editor Marcus Jensen won first place for best sports story for his article “FBS games ‘not just about money.’”

On behalf of the The Signpost editorial staff, congratulations to our award-winning journalists and to all staff members who continually strive for excellence in journalism.