WSU offers jobs to students

The majority of employed students at Weber State University work part-time.

There are ways to save and earn money at the same time at Weber State University. Whether it’s full-time or part-time, WSU has jobs open to students needing tuition assistance and wanting to make some extra money.

WSU has job openings all year, especially in the fall. WSU offers work-study jobs, part-time, full-time and tuition waivers, and employers around the area are hiring. With WSU jobs, school is the first priority, so all jobs are flexible with students’ class schedules.

At www.jobs.weber.edu, students can put in their applications and resumes and apply for any available jobs. They can apply online or go to a Career Services kiosk.

“Mainly students do hourly jobs, with about 29 hours per week so they can get study time in,” said Rebecca Bryan, WSU Human Resources technician. Bryan sets the students up with hourly and adjunct positions and conducts background checks.

Occasionally, Human Resources will advertise jobs in other areas of the WSU campus. Some jobs might also be advertised through The Signpost.

“The right process is that they apply online and get a background check, and get the appropriate paperwork before they start working,” said Holly Hirst, assistant director of Human Resources. She said the big issue usually is making sure all the paperwork is in, otherwise the employee won’t get paid.

Once the process of applying is done, students can apply for as many jobs as they want to. Some students go for the salary positions, but Hirst said they mostly go for the hourly positions because of their school schedules.

Human Resources and Career Services both help students with employment. One way they help students get more into work is through the 50/50 program, which sets money aside to pay students more than minimum wage.

“It’s nothing long-term, but it is out there and accessible,” Bryan said.

Hirst said the goal is to keep students at work on campus so they can focus on being students. The majority of WSU students are nontraditional students, so Human Resources wants to make it easier for students to work on campus and be students at the same time with minimal stress.

Tuition benefits are available for salaried employees, with up to a 50 percent waiver on tuition. Different jobs that Human Resources doesn’t provide also offer scholarships and fellowships.

“It’s hard to find a job on campus for an international student, because most students are nontraditional,” said Erin Chen, a student at WSU who works at the information desk in the Shepherd Union Building.

Chen has worked for the information desk for two years. She said her job works around her schedule, and she can do some homework while working. Chen helps with issuing bus passes and ID cards, as well as emailing the schedule of events and other campus-related information.

“Positions are limited, because they don’t fire you for no reason,” Chen said. She said she plans to work at her job until she graduates.

Human Resources is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and is available to help students with questions about employment or other needs in relation to jobs.