Police Blotter 10/24

MGN

STOP the hate
On Oct. 10, Weber State University’s Police Department received a report that a stop sign located at the south side of the Dee Events Center parking lot had been vandalized. The graffiti on the stop sign was a spray-painted racial slur.

Although WSUPD couldn’t identify how long the graffiti had been there, officers were able to respond to the scene almost immediately. The responding officers were able to replace the vandalized sign with a new one within half an hour.

WSUPD has not yet been able to identify any suspects, though the investigation is ongoing.

Honey, where are the keys?
On Oct. 11, WSUPD responded to a caller who reported that they locked their car keys in their vehicle, while they still had their 3-year-old child buckled into a booster seat in the back.

An officer was able to gain access to the vehicle through the driver-side door. The keys were retrieved and the child was reunited with their parents.

Repeat offender
During a patrol on the night of Oct. 13, an officer encountered a man sleeping inside a gazebo behind the alumni center around 10 p.m.

WSUPD recognized the individual as someone who has trespassed on campus property before and has repeatedly been disruptive on and around campus. WSUPD, before the incident, had escorted the man off campus seven times and officially banned the man from entering WSU property on the seventh time.

Upon further investigation of the situation, WSUPD found the man was in possession of marijuana.

As this was the eighth time since March the man was apprehended on campus, WSUPD arrested the individual and transported him to Weber County Jail. The man has been booked for criminal trespass and possession of a controlled substance.