Police Blotter 10/03

MGN

Criminal mastermind
On Sept. 19, a Weber State University Police Department officer was dispatched after a WSU student reported that his vehicle had been stolen. The student greeted the officer at the A2 parking lot and explained that he’d parked his car at approximately 8 p.m., then returned over an hour later to discover that his car was missing. The WSU student reported that his vehicle had been stolen.

Upon reviewing security camera footage of the timeframe in which the theft would’ve occurred, WSUPD began to grow suspicious of the complainant.

WSUPD observed the student had parked his car in the A2 lot at around 8 p.m. and proceeded to wander around campus for around an hour. At around 9 p.m. the student was seen on surveillance footage sitting in an area near his car, wearing a different set of clothes than he had on when he arrived on campus.

WSUPD also obtained evidence that the student had taken the OGX from downtown Ogden, returning to lot A2 at approximately 9:40 p.m.

WSUPD confronted the student with this evidence and he confessed to having stolen his own car in a plot to defraud his car insurance provider. He admitted he didn’t want the car anymore and wanted to collect insurance money from it.

WSUPD found the student’s car in a large parking lot in downtown Ogden. The student was warned for filing a false police report. The student was only warned about his plan to defraud his insurance provider because he hadn’t yet filed an insurance claim claiming vehicle theft.

Handicapped morals
A WSUPD officer was flagged down by a University Village resident on Sept. 19 at around 10 p.m. The resident had a handicap parking permit and said all the handicap parking spots were being taken up by cars that did not have handicap passes.

The officer contacted the owners of the offending vehicles by telephone and was able to have several illegally parked cars moved.

Way too late for donuts
At around 11:30 p.m. on Sept. 21, WSUPD observed a car driving recklessly throughout the Davis campus parking lots. The responding officer had previously warned the NUAMES student operating the vehicle on a separate occasion about doing donuts in the parking lot, and the student was given a citation for reckless driving.

Busted!
On Sept. 24, at around 1:45 a.m., a WSUPD officer discovered a party being held in a dorm at Wildcat Village. Upon investigation, officers made contact with several individuals and immediately found some of them to be in possession of alcohol and THC, some of them were also under the legal drinking age of 21.

The responding officers did a search of certain areas of the dorm and multiple bottles of alcohol and several THC vape cartridges were found. According to WSUPD, all involved individuals were cooperative and were warned for their actions.

WSU housing personnel confiscated the alcohol, while the THC cartridges were seized and processed for destruction.

Another carving
On Sept. 27, a table was removed from the Shepherd Union because someone found a swastika the size of a quarter etched into its surface. The symbol was discovered on the same day as the Jewish holy day, known as Yom Kippur.

According to WSUPD, an investigation was done that led WSUPD to believe that the hate symbol had been carved into the table a year or more prior to its discovery. It is not known who made the carving.