Weber delves deeper into film

Editors Note: The film studies and communications programs are separate programs 

With every passing semester, Weber State University’s video program continues to grow new opportunities and courses for students to participate in. In many ways, WSU’s Studio 76 has been a catalyst for film, digital media and communication students to express their creativity.

Studio 76 is a student-run organization that focuses heavily on digital media and film production. In previous years, Studio 76 has participated in film festivals such as the Demonchaser Film Challenge as well as the 48 Hour Film Project, a film festival in which participants have to create a short film within 48 hours.

Studio 76 also has a variety of podcast series, recorded and produced on campus.

Studio 76 has plans for expanding their reach this fall semester. Aaron Atkins, professor and new advisor for Studio 76, explains that Studio 76 has partnered with the Digital District at Weber State to hopefully create more opportunities for usage of the podcast studio.

“We are opening the podcast studio to not just digital media students but to any department across campus that would like to get involved,” Atkins said. “If faculty members or students would like to create a podcast for their classes, they can contact us and do that.”

Opportunities like this give students from other departments at WSU the chance to explore audio production.

“One thing I really love about this organization is that it is very much hands-on,” Atkins said. “It is very much pushing students to get outside their comfort zone and work on productions to get those hands-on experiences … students can hit the ground running and then transition into a job.”

Studio 76 offers students the chance to get involved and network with other students, faculty and organizations that could lead to future opportunities.

“You make a lot of good friends being a part of studio,” Sara Corless, a film studies major and executive content manager for Studio 76, said. “I didn’t know the campus that well until I joined Studio because we are kind of forced to explore campus, talk to people and network.”

Studio 76 operates as both a class and a club and regularly holds productions that anyone can participate in, which lets students get involved with film production from an early start.

“We give a lot of newer students the opportunity to be on set, which is something that doesn’t happen at a lot of other universities,” Andrew Kyed, director of outreach for Studio 76 and a WSU communication major, said. “Most universities shun away a lot of the underclassmen from being on set. Giving students that opportunity is really awesome.”

Going on his third year at Studio 76, Kyed created the role of Director of Outreach. This role specializes in reaching out to clientele and other organizations around campus. Kyed also advocates for more inclusion for students.

“We are trying to create conversations and support people with different backgrounds in film, podcasting and broadcasting,” Kyed said.

This story has been updated as of Aug. 28, 2023