Finding aid for performances made

The Performing Arts department at Weber State University currently offers over 30 scholarships in film studies, music, dance and theatre.

Applications for the scholarships open at various times throughout the year, depending on the department. To apply, students first need to fill out the Specialized Scholarship Application, which makes them eligible for the various departmental awards that require more specific criteria. The form can be found on the Financial Aid department’s website, and the priority deadline is Dec. 1.

There are six departmental scholarships that apply to the entire Performing Arts Department, regardless of major. These differ from the other scholarships offered because they aren’t specialized for specific skills or prerequisites.

Tori Nybo and Emily Peralez preform "Define Me" for the Dance Form, a show put on by the Performing Arts Department at Weber State University. (Signpost Archives)
Tori Nybo and Emily Peralez perform "Define Me" for the Dance Form, a show put on by the Performing Arts Department at Weber State University. (Signpost Archives)

The music department offers around 26 specialized scholarships for instruments such as strings, piano, organ, winds and percussion. They also offer choral and vocal scholarships.

Daniel Jonas, associate professor of music, said, in the music department, students don’t have to be a music major or minor to apply for scholarships. The department holds entrance or ensemble auditions where students can apply for scholarships if they qualify to participate in an ensemble, such as band or orchestra.

Jonas said the open auditions are held in late January and early February. After that, auditions are flexible to work with those involved, though the priority deadline to hear from students is May 1.

The theatre department offers 16 specialized scholarships. They also require auditions and interviews, which are being held virtually this year.

Andrew Barratt Lewis, associate professor of theatre, said the first round of interviews will be due by Oct. 15. There will then be a meet and greet on Nov. 13, and the second round of interviews will come in February.

Barratt Lewis estimates that the theatre department disburses around $150,000 in financial aid yearly.

Film Studies, a newer department in the Performing Arts, offers 13 scholarships. These can be found on their webpage under the Student Resources tab.

The dance department offers three specialized scholarships for students, with most requiring students to be a dance major to qualify.

Tori Nybo preforming "Define Me" for the Dance Form. (Signpost Archives).
Tori Nybo performs "Define Me" for the Dance Form. (Signpost Archives).

The Performing Arts Department also offers activity waivers for music, theatre and dance, which require the student to apply by the deadline, be enrolled full time and have a GPA at or above 2.5.

“The bulk of our financial aid are activity waivers based on students being active in the programs,” Barratt Lewis said.

Activity waivers are open to students of other departments as well. They are only applicable to resident in-state tuition and don’t cover additional costs such as independent study, distance learning/contract courses, credit/non-credit or audit course work.