WSU updates COVID-19 protocols

On June 14, an email went out to faculty and students that all COVID-19 protocols would be lifted across campus on June 15, though social distancing and masks for those not fully vaccinated will be heavily encouraged.

Medical mask icon. Protection against viruses, and diseases transmitted by airborne droplets. White mask on a blue hexagon in a simple style. Vector illustration for design and web, isolated.
The state of Utah met certain criteria to end COVID-19 public health orders at state and local levels, including the use of face coverings at higher institutionalized schools. Photo credit: iStock

Prior to that, masks were no longer required on campus starting on May 19 but were still recommended to those who are not yet fully vaccinated, and professors were still allowed to require face-masks in their classroom through the end of the first block of classes on June 25.

During a recent town hall meeting, WSU President Brad Mortensen said that face coverings are still welcome on campus in light of the changes made by the recent guidelines. He says that some people are excited about the news but said they are still worried about about masks not being worn on campus. Mortensen said that the community needs to be sympathetic, understanding and supportive of each other as they navigate this issue together.

Mortensen said that the trends are going in a positive direction, and advised people that if they are not feeling well, they need to stay home to protect everyone’s well being. He is also encouraging everyone to be vaccinated, as it is the best defense of protecting themselves and their loved ones from contracting the COVID-19 disease.

The email sent out said more than half of our faculty and staff were “vaccinated through our vaccination standby process and all others had the opportunity to be vaccinated through local community efforts. In a student survey conducted last month, 69% of our current or incoming students indicated they had been vaccinated, with another 11% planning to do so.”