The Student News Site of Weber State University

The Signpost

The Signpost

The Signpost

The Signpost

Latest YouTube Video

Wildcats endure, win 4-3 in overtime

hockey finale (19 of 21)
Right wing Dax Hobbs (white) skates after the loose puck against BYU on Saturday night. Hobbs scored two game-tying goals for the Wildcats in the win. (Jamii Freston / The Signpost)

After a tough loss to Utah State University the day prior, the Weber State University hockey team moved on and defeated Brigham Young University 4-3 in double overtime to finish third in the inaugural Wasatch Cup.

“We needed this win,” said coach Clay Hobbs after the game. “We had a tough loss to Utah State and this team bounced back and played their toughest to get the win. I am proud of these boys and all their hard work.”

The hockey team, which has seen its share of troubles this season, was told during practice on Tuesday that Clay Hobbs would be taking over for former coach Joe Pfleegor, who had to step down due to work. The team showed that change in their early struggles.



The team had a rough start as they trailed 2-0 after the first period as BYU was able to capitalize on two power play goals.

“It has been tough for us as a team with the recent changes in coaching,” said Jake Webber, the team captain. “We have a lot of young players and it can be rough sometimes, but we have started to grow closer. As we went into the locker room after the first (period), we really stepped up and pulled together to get back into the game.”

Dax Hobbs tied up the game for the Wildcats in the second period, and tied the game again in the third period after a BYU score. After a back-and-forth first overtime period that ended with no score, the Wildcats won the game in the second overtime period on a power play goal by Erik Soderlund.

Goalie Ian Frank, who missed the fall portion of the season, was a standout between the posts for the Wildcats. After the game he spoke on the recent changes for the team.

“I am so glad to be back playing on the team, but it has been rough,” Frank said. “It took a lot for us as a team to come back in this one, but despite our difficulties we made it happen. We have a long way to go, but this was a step in the right direction.”

The victory over BYU helped the team to place third in the Wasatch Cup tournament. The tournament, hosted by The University of Utah, was set up for the four major college hockey teams (Utah, WSU, BYU, USU) to play against each other to see who the best in-state team is.

Charles can be found tweeting @cbowkstar_91 or cheering like a fool for Weber State

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

Comments written below are solely the opinions of the author and does not reflect The Signpost staff or its affiliates.
All The Signpost Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *