Millner Letter

Dear Weber State University students,

Welcome to the 2011-12 academic year at WSU. I encourage you to take advantage of all that college life has to offer, including the opening of school activities this week that culminate in the Block Party and Foam Party on Friday.

Visit the Community Involvement Center and learn about opportunities to get involved in community service. Stop by the Swenson Building and sign up for an intramural sport. Meet classmates from other cultures at the International Student and Scholar Center or the Center for Diversity and Unity. Find advisors for women, nontraditional students, student activities, and student government, and learn how to enrich your college experience.

Those of you who are new to college life may want to join the First Year Experience (FYE) program located in the Student Success Center. FYE helps ease the transition to the university. You will learn new study skills and take classes within a learning community of other students who are new. Faculty advisors will provide guidance on choosing a major and a career in a course called “EDUC 1105: Introduction to the University.”

WSU provides many opportunities to enhance your education by working closely with faculty on undergraduate research projects. I would encourage you to consider a research project this fall, as our university will host the National Conference on Undergraduate Research in March 2012. Visit the Office of Undergraduate Research in Room 58 of the Stewart Library to find out how you can get involved.

This fall, members of the WSU community will participate in many activities outside the classroom, including Homecoming, sporting events and pre-professional clubs and organizations. As you embark on a new semester, take the time to make new friends and renew acquaintances. Whether on the Ogden or Davis campus, savor the sense of community and connection that exists at this university.

Sincerely,
    F. Ann Millner
    President