News Briefs 1/27

NULC submission deadline extended

The deadline for submissions for 2013’s National Undergraduate Literature Conference has been extended until Jan. 31. NULC, Weber State University’s annual literature conference, will take place at WSU April 2-6 this year and will feature writers Jay Parini, Phyllis Barber and Mario Chard. Undergraduate students are invited to submit research works in American, British or world literature, or creative works in Spanish or English — fiction, poetry or essays. More information on the conference can be found at www.nulc2013.com.

‘Maximizing Your Tax Return’ workshop

Just in time for taxes and in conjunction with Weber State University’s Major Fest, the Nontraditional Student Center and Women’s Center have teamed up to sponsor “Maximizing Your Tax Return,” a workshop aimed at assisting WSU students in navigating taxes and tax season. The workshop will be presented by Eric Smith, assistant professor with the accounting department, and take place Feb. 4 from 4-6 p.m. in the Shepherd Union Lair. The workshop is free and everyone is welcome. For more information, prospective participants can contact the Nontraditional Student Center.

Author presentation on Mormon pioneer food

Brock Cheney, WSU alumnus and author of “Plain But Wholesome,” a book examining the food of Mormon pioneers, will speak about his book today as part of the Weber Historical Society Spring 2013 lecture series and the Weber State University Alumni Association. The presentation will take place in the Social Science Building, Room 234 at 7 p.m. Cheney lives in Willard and teaches writing and literature in Utah public schools.