Former student brings new art space to Ogden

[media-credit name=”Brandy Cimmino” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]Weber State University graduate Alicia Washington has brought a whole new element to Ogden’s performing arts scene.

Ogden’s newest performance space is Good Company Theatre, located on Historic 25th Street. The theater will be a location for performances, artwork and workshops by local artists and performers for the public. According to its mission statement, “Good Company Theatre develops and promotes high-quality, eclectic theatrical productions and events, forging new relationships between audiences, performers and spaces in the process.”

Washington, who graduated in 2010 with a degree in musical theater, said she has opened the space for the Ogden arts community.

“I’ve been saying to myself that Ogden needs more theater, that it’s a city that’s bursting with art and what can we do to put this on stage,” Washington said. “It was one of those times where luck and opportunity just crossed paths, and I went for it. I have so many talented people — friends, peers and people in the community that I would like to work with. It’s really a community-based, grassroots project. It’s just about having the space and the energy in the space to make it happen.”

Washington said that, in part, she attributes beginning this performance space to her education at WSU and her love for acting and performing.

“It’s entirely Weber State,” Washington said. “I mean, from being in the performing arts department up there — just the inspiration I got from all the professors, the technical directors to my acting coaches — it really was a community up there, and I wanted to help recreate that within the community. It’s such a warm place and place of growth. I was always successful because of them, and I want to continue that success.”

The theater hosted a grand opening on Nov. 2 as part of the Ogden City First Friday Art Stroll, an event that happens in downtown Ogden on the first Friday of every month. Throughout the night, local artists and musicians used the space to showcase their talents. Patrons were able to tour the space, watch the performances, and see what workshops and shows Washington has planned for the space.

“Coming up, we’re going to start our workshops soon, so, of course, you check out the website to see what we’re going to be doing,” Washington said. “We have acting, auditioning, boot camps, how to do makeup for film; we have dance classes, yoga for the actor and a variety of different trainings that you can do. That’s a big component of Good Company Theatre, is the actor or people in the arts trade. It’s multidisciplinary. We’re all in it together.”

Shows for next year have already been chosen and dates for auditions will be posted on the theater’s website soon. These performances include “Topdog/Underdog,” “The Vagina Monologues,” “Cowboy Mouth,” “Romeo and Juliet” (with music by Prince), “Fences” and “Passion.” The proceeds from “The Vagina Monologues” will benefit the YCC of Ogden.

“We’re going to do those shows and then any other projects that people in the community come up with,” Washington said. “I’ve had a couple of people say, ‘I want to do a poetry reading in your space,’ and I say, ‘Great, let’s set up a time and get you on the schedule.’ It’s constantly evolving every day. I’m excited to see what people say and what people come up with.”

Washington said she also wants to reach out to the WSU community and offers discounts to students. She has also offered the space to art students who want to showcase their work.

More information on workshops and performances at Good Company Theatre is available at www.goodcotheatre.com. Those interested can e-mail questions or suggestions to [email protected].