Women's basketball's new assistant coach

Clerita “Penny” Jones was hired as the new women’s basketball assistant coach.

Weber State University announced the hiring of a new women’s basketball assistant coach last month. Clerita “Penny” Jones was named to the position back in May, and Bethann Ord, the women’s basketball head coach, announced the decision.

Jones will be supervising the academic situations and progress of the players, as well as focusing on the individual development and growth of the players in many different capacities. The new addition to the WSU squad will also be given the task of coordinating community service opportunities for the team, and will be placed as a scouting and recruiting official.

Jones joins the Wildcats with recent successful coaching years behind her. Prior to her new position at WSU, she passed the last three seasons as an assistant coach for the Saints at Seward County Community College in Liberal, Kan. During her time coaching there, she helped guide the Saints to a cumulative record of 75-22 over the span of three seasons. She also coached four All-Americans, seven All-Region players and eight All-Conference players at SCCC.

Ord said Jones will be a good addition to the coaching staff and will contribute a lot to the team in the coming seasons.

“We are excited to have Penny join our program and know she will be a great addition for us,” Ord said. “She has a great work ethic and will bring a great intensity to our program. She has coached in one of the best junior college conferences in the nation and has coached some great players and had success recruiting and will be a great fit for our staff and team.”

Before her time with SCCC, Jones worked two years as the director of basketball operations at the University of South Alabama. During her two seasons there, she supervised the academic situations for the players and was the coordinator and connection for the Jags’ community service program. She was also in charge of the traveling conditions for the team, and she coordinated film exchange as well.

Jones first started her career as a basketball coach during the 2006-07 season at Concordia Lutheran High School in Omaha, Neb. While there, she worked as the junior varsity head coach and as an assistant coach to the varsity team.

The new coach has playing experience as well. She was a four-year starter at the University of West Florida. Her accomplishments with the Argonauts include the team Defensive Player of the Year as well as the team MVP for one season. While attending UWF, Jones also earned a bachelor’s degree in biology in 2005.

Jones currently is working for a master’s degree in sports coaching and sports fitness from the United States Sports Academy in Daphne, Ala.

The Wildcats’ season will kick off in late October with the annual Purple and White Game.