Up next on Studio 76

Studio 76 crew preparing to film.

Studio 76 is gearing up for its latest creative endeavor — a short film titled “Jaeger,” under the direction of digital media student Alexander Papworth. The film presents a captivating narrative centered on a hunter caught in a relentless time loop, distinguished by its absence of dialogue.

“The actor is Jared Palmer, who we’ve worked with on ‘Nomad’ in 2021,” Lieb Kuich, the student executive at Studio 76, said.

Every April, Studio 76 accepts applications from students eager to join the staff, with hiring taking place each fall semester. The studio prides itself on being an inclusive space, welcoming students from all academic backgrounds. This openness fosters a diverse community of creatives, enriching the studio’s output with a variety of perspectives and talents.

“I think it’s a great way to learn as well, because it’s very much a boots-on-the-ground kind of class and job if you’re on staff,” Kuich said. “I like how I feel I’ve learned a lot more on set through studio than I have in the classes honestly.”

Located in the Stewart Library, Studio 76 serves as an asset to WSU students pursuing media production. The studio offers access to top-notch equipment and facilities, supporting a wide range of student-led projects from broadcast journalism to podcasts and short films.

They also have DIY workplaces in the library for students to film presentations and a foley studio which is for sound effects in which students have recorded voice-overs for short films and animated pieces. Their username on YouTube is Studio 76.

Aaron Atkins, the faculty advisor for Studio 76, emphasized the unique educational model the studio represents.

“One of the really cool things about a studio as an organization and co-curricular in a class is that the students who are involved that have complete creative control over what they want to work on what they want to do,” Atkins said. “They build the production around whatever it is that they’re trying to do. So it is student-run, it’s student-led.”