Who is The Signpost?

Copy Editor Mindy Brown editing articles for The Signpost during a production.

Joining a campus organization is one of the best ways to create your own community at Weber State University. Regardless of your major, interests or time on campus, there is a community for you to join.

One of these communities is WSU’s very own student-run newspaper, The Signpost. With various desks that perform multiple tasks, The Signpost is an organization made up of people with differing backgrounds and talents.

The news desk is where the hard-hitting, important information comes from. This desk writes stories that affect WSU students and their community. With a range of topics from politics to events to construction and everything in between, the news desk is versatile with reporters who major in everything from journalism to political science to film.

The culture desk is perfect for those interested in fine arts and the more cultural aspects of WSU. The desk covers everything from theater to cultural centers to Ogden’s community. Joining the culture desk is a one-way ticket to attending all sorts of campus and community events.

The Signpost wouldn’t be a campus newspaper without a sports desk. Sportswriters cover a range of athletic topics from the teams themselves to the games and tournaments to the individual players. You don’t have to be a student-athlete to be part of WSU’s athletics scene with The Signpost.

The copy desk is the place for perfectionists. The Signpost’s copy editors work hard to make sure the paper is impeccable in grammar, spelling and style before the paper goes to print and out to the public.

The Signpost is the only campus newspaper that regularly translates its articles to Spanish in the entire state of Utah. The translation team at The Signpost works hard to make articles accessible to more people on campus and in our community.

If writing or editing isn’t for you, there are still opportunities within The Signpost.

Our photo desk is made up of photographers from all photography backgrounds. Whether you’re into sports photography, landscape photography or traditional photojournalism, The Signpost’s photographers work hard to make our paper aesthetically pleasing.

Speaking of aesthetically pleasing, another non-writing desk on The Signpost is the graphics desk. Graphics editors lay out our newspaper to make it most pleasing to the eye. If you have a passion for graphic design or need a place to improve your skills, The Signpost is a great option for you.

The Signpost offers room to grow through becoming an editor or even a future editor-in-chief or managing editor. It also offers a tuition waiver, with the amount depending on your desk and position in the organization.

The Signpost meets Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays during fall and spring semesters and publishes every Tuesday and Thursday.

If you feel like The Signpost is the right campus community for you, join now!