Climbing to new heights

Talus Carver uses a long stick to hand crates to the climbers as they climb. Photo taken in Sept. 2022.

In a collaboration between the Outdoor Program and Competitive Sports, Weber State University hosted its semiannual crate stacking event on Sept. 19 and 21.

Crate stacking is the act of stacking milk crates while simultaneously climbing them. The competitor to stack and mount the highest tower wins. Climbers are harnessed into a pulley system that prevents them from falling.

Sept. 19 was set for learning and practicing how to stack crates. Sept. 21 was the competition night, where a winner would be awarded the grand prize and the title of Weber’s Semiannual Crate Stacking Champion.

Although this was a standalone event, every competitor was trying to break the record from previous years. Tyler Jefferies, WSU senior and competitor, did just that. At 30 crates, Jefferies set a new record.

“It’s a really fun and unique challenge,” Jefferies said. “It’s not made for climbers but as a climber it is extra fun.”

While there were many veteran crate stackers in attendance, the event drew a crowd of new climbers as well.

First time stacker Damon Sirois, WSU freshman, said it was harder than he thought, but he still enjoyed stacking and climbing crates.

“It’s a fun, different thing that’s kind of out there but that people will really enjoy,” Amy Knight, Outdoor Program coordinator, said. “It’s a bit competitive and it’s just a good time to try something new and different.”

Olivia Seager, a WSU junior, came to watch the event and expressed admiration for the talent and balance that the crate stackers had.

Kelsi Christensen, a WSU senior, has spent her fair share of time crate stacking and it showed with her tallest tower being 25 crates high.

Christensen said there’s nothing quite like crate stacking and that its uniqueness requires a special set of skills not acquired from rock climbing or bouldering.

Jaron Triplett won second place with a tower of 29 crates. Triplett graduated earlier this year from WSU, but he returned to try his luck in winning once more.

“It’s a casual but fun event that gets people out of their comfort zone,” Leslie Davis, marketing coordinator for campus recreations, said. “It’s a unique thing.”

Intramural crate stacking is set to return to WSU next spring with the Ogden Climbing Festival.