Cutting tuition costs

Activity waivers are offered at Weber State University for students who get involved in the community and to cut tuition depending on their role and position in the group or organization they have joined.

The waivers are offered through university organizations and groups involved in school affairs, including the Center for Community Engaged Learning, the WSU dance team, cheer team, marching band or Student Involvement and Leadership, known as WSUSA.

Members of the WSU marching band during the Homecoming football game. October 12, 2019. Students who are part of the marching band will receive activity wavers for their time spend in the activity.
Members of the WSU marching band during the Homecoming football game on October 12, 2019. Students who are part of the marching band will receive activity waivers for their time spent in the activity. Photo credit: Weber State University

Patrick Tadlock, assistant director for CCEL, said their tuition waivers go to student leaders for various student groups. The community engaged team of student leaders is a part of the larger WSUSA student group.

The team puts out campus-wide calls for students to apply for a position in the group. Eligibility to join the team depends on what your financial need is and has to do with other scholarships the student is receiving.

There are currently around 20 students on the community engaged team.

“We get a lump sum for our student leadership positions and we nominate those students for those waivers,” Tadlock said.

The waivers are not given in cash to the students, but go straight to paying tuition fees.

The WSU dance team provides participants with activity waivers to pay tuition.
The WSU dance team provides participants with activity wavers to pay tuition. Photo credit: Weber State University

Tara Peris, director of Student Involvement and Leadership, said there are multiple leadership positions within WSUSA.

“In leadership, we let the students decide what their focus is for the year and we tell them the year is theirs,” Peris said.

Typically, the week prior to spring break is when students leadership elections are held, such as student body president and vice president. If students aren’t elected, they can apply for an appointed position to help the vice president succeed in their goals for the year.

There are currently about 120 student leaders associated with WSUSA that vary in positions and that are acquiring different tuition waiver awards.

Peris also said activity waivers cover a minimum of $450 semesterly and can go higher, depending on the responsibilities and role of the student. However, waivers won’t cover tuition fully.

Ben Ferney, WSUSA student body president, also had a positive opinion of the waivers.

“Having an activity waiver shows me that Weber State values my time,” he said.

Activity waivers are available to all students who hold positions in most student-fee-funded organizations, including those outside of WSUSA and CCEL. If students are interested in a specific area, there is likely an organization to help them develop professionally and possibly with a fee waiver.