Do you know Weber State?

1. In what year was Weber State University first founded?

a. 1879

b. 1889

c. 1919

d. 1929

An archive photograph, in 1949-1950, when Weber College's monument wall was built on the Harrison Boulevard location, preceding the construction of the college on Harrison by two years. (Weber State University Archives)
This archive photograph from 1949-1950 shows when Weber College’s monument wall was built on the Harrison Boulevard location, preceding the construction of the college on Harrison by two years. (Weber State University Archives) Photo credit: Weber State University Archives

2. What is the name of the Weber State mascot?

a. Willy Wildcat

b. Walter Wallaby

c. Wyatt the Walrus

d. Waldo Wildcat

One of the original faces of the beloved Weber State University Mascot.
One of the original faces of the beloved Weber State University Mascot. Photo credit: Weber State University Archives

3. What was the total student enrollment count at WSU in 2019?

a. Over 21,000

b. Over 23,000

c. Over 26,000

d. Over 29,000

4. What is WSU’s degree program with the most graduates?

a. Criminal Justice

b. Business

c. Nursing

d. Communications

Answers:

1. The correct answer is B, 1889. On Jan. 7, 1889, Weber Stake Academy, as it was known then, had its first day of classes with about 100 students in a small brick meetinghouse.

2. The correct answer is D, Waldo Wildcat. According to university history, a local sportswriter in the 1920s referred to Weber athletes as a “scrappy bunch of wildcats,” and the name stuck.

3. The correct answer is D, over 29,000. According to a press release from the university in 2019, the total enrollment stood at 29,644, an increase of nearly 5% from the 2018 enrollment of 28,247.

4. The correct answer is C, Nursing. According to weber.edu, 3,685 nursing degrees were awarded for academic years 2016 to 2020, more than double the No. 2 program, the School of Computing.