‘Viks sail past ’Cats

The Portland State University Vikings came to Ogden to take on the Weber State Wildcats in the final game of a three game home stint for the Wildcats.

wbb Nikki Dorber-3.jpg
Daryn Hickok, Foward, prevents the rebound. (Nikki Dorber / The Signpost)

Weber, despite a good effort, couldn’t end their tenure in Ogden on a high note as Portland State took the game 57-76. The ‘Cats are now 3-13 on the season and 1-5 in conference play.

“It was our start,” Head Coach Velaida Harris said. “We got ourselves down, and then it took us a second [to figure out] what we’re supposed to be doing offensively.”

PSU started the game hot as they jumped to an early lead and weren’t afraid to let it fly. Burying jumper after jumper over the outstretched arms of the Wildcat defenders, Portland shot a scorching 64.7% from the field during the first period.

wbb Nikki Dorber-10.jpg
Ciara James shoots for a two pointer. (Nikki Dorber / The Signpost)

The first quarter ended with Weber looking at a 26-14 deficit. Portland couldn’t miss and were punishing Weber for every mistake they made on defense.

The Viking lead grew to 40-25 by halftime. Junior Kayla Watkins was the only Wildcat with more than five points, putting up ten points and five rebounds in the half. As a team, Weber shot poorly, going 10-29 from the field and having yet to make a three.

Weber started the second half with a new found energy as they scored five quick unanswered points thanks to two tough steals by Junior guard Liz Graves. PSU head coach called a hasty timeout to talk to his team that had been visibly rattled by Weber’s sudden aggressiveness.

wbb Nikki Dorber-13.jpg
Kayla Watkins fights off defense to make a two pointer. (Nikki Dorber / The Signpost)

Portland survived Weber’s initial wave of energy and eventually opened the lead back up again. Weber left points on the floor by failing to take advantage of free throw opportunities, missing four in the third quarter alone. The quarter ended with The Vikings ahead 61-43.

An uneventful fourth quarter concluded as the final buzzer sounded, ending the game. The Wildcat’s leading scorer was Watkins with 21 points. She was the only Weber player to finish with double digit points.

Weber will spend the next few days in Montana as they play Montana State and Montana University on the 23rd and 25th.

Montana State will be a test of will for this Weber team as they are currently number one in the Big Sky Conference.

Weber’s next home game will be against Southern Utah University on the 30th.

The original version of the story was stated as the Portland State Hornets, but they were the Portland State Vikings.