’Cats sting Hornets on Senior Day

11-7 vs Sac State (Joshua Wineholt) (5 of 14).JPG
Josh Davis, Wildcat running back, finds his way around the defensive line. (Joshua Wineholt / The Signpost)

With three weeks left in the regular season, the Weber State University football team took down the Sacramento State Hornets last Saturday on senior day, 26–14. The Wildcats’ improved to 6-0 at home for the first time since 1997.

The team was carried by the defense as they held the Hornets to just 170 total yards on the game. The ’Cats’ defense stood strong, holding Sacramento State to 1-12 on third downs and averaging just three yards per play.

The offense was in the red zone four times on the afternoon. They scored on all four trips, ending the game with 26 points. Head Coach Jay Hill mentioned his team’s execution of the offensive game plan.

“Josh Davis went for 7.2 a carry. His backup, Clay Moss went 5.9 a carry,” Hill said. “The two quarterbacks, between them were 26-31. Just so many positives there, just the two negatives.”

The two negatives were the two turnovers, a fumble and an interception. The fumble was recovered by the Hornets, which was returned for a defensive touchdown.

Weber State got off to a quick start as they scored on their first three drives of the game. Senior wide receiver Darryl Denby capped off the second drive with a 31-yard touchdown reception after a 31-yard catch by sophomore Isiah Jackson.

Sophomore kicker Trey Tuttle went 2-2 on his field goal attempts adding six of his own points.

Coming out of half, the Wildcats put together two touchdown-scoring drives. Sophomore Rashid Shaheed capped off an 80-yard drive with a 20-yard catch from Constantine.

The Cats’ are on a four game win streak. Since their loss on Oct. 6 against Northern Arizona, the team has been wearing wristbands entitled, “three strong.” Wildcat senior safety Jawian Harrison Jr. and wide receiver Shadheed mentioned the meaning behind the wristbands.

The bands are a reminder of the team’s role in all three aspects of the game, defense, offense and special teams. Harrison Jr. believes that the ’Cats still have another level to them because they haven’t put together a full four quarters as a team.

With the Wildcat’s seventh win on the season, all-time records were set. Hill explained the significance of the win.

“Another good win, a lot of cool things happened in this victory. Undefeated at home during the regular season,” Hill said. “We just had three seven win seasons in a row, that’s another deal that has never happened before, and the seniors are going out as one of the winningest senior groups ever.”

Before the game, Weber State athletics honored the seniors. Jawian Harrison Jr., Treshawn Garrett, Darryl Denby, Keilan Benjamin, Parker and Jordan Preator and Jeremy Maxwell are all vital assets to the recent success of the Wildcat football team.

The ’Cats have two games left. Up next, Weber State heads down south to take on the struggling Southern Utah University Thunderbirds. Although SUU has just one win on the season with it being a rivalry game, anything can happen.

“I’m thinking about the playoffs as well, not to say that we are so immature that we’re not knowing the Southern Utah is a big game” Hill said. “Idaho Sate is going to be a huge game.”

Weber State is continuing to climb the FCS STATS poll now at No. 3. The ’Cats are looking to have a first-round bye and play the quarterfinal and semifinal game at Stewart Stadium.