Women’s golf takes 11th place at the Rose City Collegiate

The Weber State University women’s golf team competed at the Rose City Collegiate at Langdon Farms Golf Club last weekend in Aurora, Ore. At the conclusion of the three-round tournament, the Wildcats ended with a team total of 959.

The Wildcats’ efforts would land them an 11th-place finish for the two-day tournament.

The team started the tournament off strong, posting a first-round mark of 312. But as the tournament progressed, the Wildcats struggled with weather conditions, shooting a 326 in the second round and a 321 in the final round.

“It was a tough course, and really tough conditions with the rain and wind,” said senior Jordan Ulibarri. “It was hard out there, but we played our best.”

Ulibarri finished the tournament with a score of  236, and was the Wildcats’ top finisher, coming in tied for 28th place overall. Ulibarri has performed well for WSU so far this season, being their top finisher in two tournaments.

Long Beach State University led the tournament with the help of Rochelle Chan and Monica Villarreal. Chan and Villarreal scored 220 and 223, good enough for first- and second-place finishes. Madchen Ly of Fresno State University tied with Villarreal for second place, shooting a 223. Rounding out the top three were Fresno State University and the University of San Francisco.

WSU would finish in 11th place, just in front of  Northern Colorado University, which scored a 964. Rounding out the 14 teams were McNeese State University, taking 13th place, and Eastern Washington University, taking the No. 14 spot.

Ulibarri played well in the tough conditions, shooting a 78 in both the first and third rounds of the tournament. She also had the second-best mark in par-3 scoring, above Chan and Seattle University’s Caitlin McCleary.

“It was a really good experience for us, getting to play in different and more challenging conditions, and I am really proud of our team for doing their best,” Ulibarri said. “I know this experience will only help us get better, and I am excited for the rest of the year.”

Sara Federico shot 240 to tie for 40th, while Amanda Snyder and Kelsey Chugg each shot 243 to tie for 48th. Alli Cluff rounded out the Wildcat scoring team with a 248 to finish in 60th place.

“I think that Jordan had a great tournament,” Snyder said. “It really shows how good of a player she is that she can still play well in conditions that tough.”

Playing as individuals, Nyomy Obcemea shot 245 to finish in a tie for 53rd, while Courtney Smith shot 258 and tied for 74th.

“I felt like I can play a lot better than what I did, but I was committed to every shot, and I did the best I could,” Snyder said. “With some practice this week, I should be ready to play well for the next one.”

The Wildcats will head to Wyoming for the Cowgirl Desert Classic for their next tournament on Oct. 8. Following that tournament, the team will take a month off before returning to action in November, when they will play in their last tournament of 2011 in California.