Sports Brief 07/06/2016

11-7 Football v. UC Davis (Ariana Berkemeier) (11 of 17).jpg
Freshman Treshawn Garrett gets tackled by opponents in a game against UC Davis last season. (Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)

Home game times for the 2016 football season

On Tuesday, June 28, the Weber State football team announced its home game times for the 2016 football season. Weber State will host five home games this season.

The Wildcats will open with road games against Utah State and South Dakota. The first home game will take place on Saturday, Sept. 17 at 6 p.m. at the Stewart Stadium against Sacramento State.

The Weber State annual Homecoming game will take place on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 6 p.m. against Portland State.

WSU will host Montana State at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct 15.

The Wildcats will play back-to-back home games in November as they take on Northern Arizona at 12 p.m. on Nov. 5 and Cal Poly at 12 p.m. on Nov. 12.

Weber State will also play UC Davis, Southern Utah, North Dakota and Idaho State on the road.

For information regarding tickets for the 2016 football season, visit WeberStateTickets.com or call 801-626-8500.

Brekkott Chapman UUBKBM15.JPG
Brekkott Chapman, men's basketball player previously with University of Utah, transfers to Weber State University. (Source: Utah Athletic Communications)

Men’s basketball adds transfer student Brekkott Chapman

On Wednesday, June 22, Weber State men’s basketball head coach Randy Rahe announced the addition of Brekkott Chapman to the Wildcat basketball team. Chapman transferred to Weber State after playing two seasons at the University of Utah.

The 6-foot-9-inch, 205 pound forward was recruited by the University of Utah out of Roy High School in 2014. In high school, Chapman averaged 19 points and 8.6 rebounds.

As a freshman at the University of Utah, Chapman played in all 35 games and averaged 5.7 points, with a shooting percentage of 48 percent from the field.

His sophomore season, Brekkott helped advance his team to the second round of the NCAA Tournament by averaging 4.4 points and 2.8 rebounds per game.

While Chapman only played 13 minutes against Fresno State in the NCAA first round, he knocked down four points and grabbed two rebounds, helping his team advance to the second round where they were beaten by Gonzaga.

Chapman had a career-high of 15 points against Arizona State on Feb. 25, 2016.

According to NCAA transfer rules, Chapman is required to sit out the 2016-17 season, but will have two eligible years with the Wildcats, beginning in the 2017-18 season.

3-2 WSU Women's Bball vs University of Idaho-9.jpg
Senior Guard Brittney Dunbar looks to pass during the game against University of Idaho last season. (Christina Huerta / The Signpost)
Skyler Young.jpg
Skyler Young, the new assistant coach for Weber State University women's basketball team. (Source: Weber State Athletics)

WSU women’s basketball announces new assistant coach

On Monday, June 20, the Weber State women’s basketball team announced Skyler Young as the new assistant coach.

Young has previously been an assistant women’s basketball coach at Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois, for four seasons. Before that, Young was an assistant coach at Ohio University for three years.

Young has many accomplishments, including assisting the Bradley women’s basketball team in winning five of the final 12 regular-season conference games.

In his first year with the Braves, Young also helped guide Bradley to its best conference record of 8-10, with a sixth place finish in the 2009-10 season.

“We are excited to have Skyler as a part of our Wildcat family,” head coach Bethann Ord told Weber State Athletics. “He’s going to be valuable to the development of our athletes who love to work.”