Wildcats rack up season’s fifth win against UC Davis 23-3

11-7-Football-v.-UC-Davis-Ariana-Berkemeier-10-of-17-300x270Teamwork went a long way Saturday night at Stewart as the Weber State Wildcats defeated the Aggies of the University of California Davis 23-3.

“We went out there, and we each gave our 1/11th of an effort and came together well as a team,” sophomore safety Mitch Tulane said after the win. “Everyone did their job. No one played out of their mind. We set a really good game plan, and we followed it.”

The first half was an all-Wildcat game, with the defense holding the Aggies to just 11 total offensive yards and only one field goal,  the only points that UC Davis would score. In the second half, the Aggies were able to move the ball a bit more on offense, but the Wildcat defense responded and kept them from scoring any points.

“As a defensive unit, we know when we do our job, we can play with some of the best in the nation,” Tulane said. “Recently, we have had games where not everyone has stepped up or where we have slacked off, and that has killed us. Today, we showed we were able to overcome that.”

Alema Key led the ‘Cats with eight tackles on the day while Emmett Tela added six of his own. Tulane had five tackles with one for loss and blocked a UC Davis field goal attempt. Tre’von Johnson recorded a sack for the ‘Cats while Taron Johnson recorded the only interception of the day, a one-handed grab during the second quarter.

The offense had some struggles, but one of the shining stars was freshman running back Treshawn Garrett. Garrett had a career day with 19 carries for a total of 152 yards, including two touchdowns, one for 21 yards.

Freshman Treshawn Garrett runs with the ball to score a touchdown during the game against UC Davis. (Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)

“Today felt wonderful,” Garrett said. “The line was doing their job, and all I had to do was hit the holes and make the plays. I haven’t played a game like that since high school.”

Despite the successes, Garrett said he recognized the places where the team was lacking.

“We are still having issues with our red zone offense,” Garrett said. “That is something we all recognize. What we need to do next is work harder at getting better in that aspect.”

The team is now sitting at 5-5 for the season and 4-3 in conference play. It’s the first time since 2011 the Wildcats have had five wins in a season.

“We set a goal as a team to finish this season with a winning  record, and we are one game away from that goal,” Head Coach Jay Hill said. “This next game against Idaho State is a rivalry game and a chance for these kids to really prove themselves.”

The Wildcats will end their season at home on Nov. 21 with a final conference game against the Idaho State Bengals. The game starts at 1 p.m.