And So I Watch You From Afar: A new experience

heirs (1)“Greedily trying to fit everything we love into one song” is the description the group And So I Watch You From Afar provides on its Facebook page, and it is fitting. Strong guitar solos, computer generated beats, thrashing drum tracks and so much more can be found on their latest album “Heirs.”

The four-piece group known as ASIWYFA is from Belfast, Northern Ireland. They write mainly instrumental music, adding small group vocals in parts of their songs. The group received accolades for their first self-titled album released in 2009. It was named sixth best that year by Rock Sound magazine, before one of the four founding members left the group in 2011.

“Heirs,” released in May, is the group’s fourth album, and it’s one of their most unique. The group has many different sounds, and the only way to understand them is to listen to their albums.

The album starts out with high energy and fast beat. Wailing guitars and hard drums are the main focus of the song “Run Home,” but there are also quiet, repeating lyrics in the background that add to the song. “The Secret Things I Know” follows the opening track and has a slightly calmer vibe with more vocals.

The third track, “Wasps,” is one of the album’s strongest songs. The guitar rhythm creates an effect that evokes a sensation that wasps are surrounding the listener. This track also has vocals in the background to highlight the music. This song’s energy can easily pump up listeners.

While the previous songs on the album have a hard rock feel about them, “Redesigned A Million Times” has a more alternative feel mixed with electronic sounds. It almost reminds listeners of old-school video games. ASIWYFA really means it when they say that they try to fit everything they love into one song.

I was taken by surprise with this group, and they get four-and-a-half stars out of five. If I had any previous expectations, they would have been blown away. Some similar artists that might spark your interest are Russian Circles, 65daysofstatic and Maserati.

If you’re looking for something different than you’re used to, ASIWYFA may be a good place to start. They have a little of everything for most fans, and it’s hard to walk away from this album disappointed.