Improper medication use can lead to deadly consequences

(Photo by Autumn Mariano)
(Photo by Autumn Mariano)

It has recently been exposed that multiple celebrities have died due to the improper use of medication.

Improper use of medication can cause students to overdose if they are not careful. Despite the fact that Adderall and other ADHD medicines can be used to help students focus, the students that actually use them are a smaller number than expected.

According to a study conducted by journalist Randy Dotinga, almost one in five Ivy League students use ADHD medicine to concentrate when studying for a test.

Reports from the study revealed that varsity athletes and members of fraternities and sororities are the students that were more likely to use those drugs. However, when asked how often the usage was, it was reported that the students had used these drugs less than four times.

“If at all possible, keep students from going on the medication in the first place, but if that’s not possible, then better education on how to handle your medication [is necessary],” said Tesha Howard, sophomore and medical laboratory sciences major.

This study suggests that stimulant usage on campuses across the United States may be a problem. In Dotinga’s article, Dr. Andrew Adesman, co-author in this study, states that students should be counseled on the improper use of these stimulants.

“[Students and faculty] can prevent improper use of medication by educating themselves on the certain medications they need,” said Niel Burnett, senior and human performance management major. “There are probably some suicidal cases, which is sad, but there is probably some confusion on the effects of medications.”

When students use these stimulants while using other drugs, or are unaware of a medical conditions they might have, it can be deadly.

Burnett continued to say that the councilors here on campus could impact this problem by informing students about different medications, as well as referring them to the Weber State Health Center.

WSU students are paying fees when they attend the university for resources such as the medical and counseling centers.

13 percent of the students using these stimulants are sophomore, 24 percent are juniors and 16 percent are seniors, according to the study by Dr. Andrew Adesman, chief of development and behavioral pediatrics at Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children’s Medical Center. Not only does this study look at students’ years in school, but it also evaluates the time these drugs are most likely used overall.

“I think proper education [is important] … allowing students to realize there are resources for help, as well as diagnosing an issue,” said Alyssa Brusatto, sophomore and athletic training major. “I think a lot of students don’t realize we have a counseling center.”