Men's basketball keeps playoff hopes alive with 61-57 win

Junior Chris Golden goes up for the shot against Idaho State on Saturday night. Golden scored a career-high 24 points against the Bengals.  (/ The Signpost)
Junior Chris Golden goes up for the shot against Idaho State on Saturday night. Golden scored a career-high 24 points against the Bengals.
(Jamii Freston / The Signpost)

The Weber State University men’s basketball team continued its playoff push Saturday night with a 6-1-57 win at home against Idaho State University.

“We knew it was going to be a tough game, and it was, but we were able to find a way,” said Wildcats head coach Randy Rahe. “I”m really proud of our effort and toughness. We played really well together and Chris (Golden) and Kyndahl (Hill) really stepped up.”

The win improved the Wildcats to 7-9 in conference play as they remain in eighth place in the conference standings. They are currently one game ahead of Southern Utah University (6-10) in the standings, but if the Wildcats and the Thunderbirds end the season in a tie, the Thunderbirds would hold the tiebreaker and could potentially knock the Wildcats out of the conference tournament.

The Wildcats carried a 29-23 lead into halftime, but the Bengals went on a 13-4 run to start the second half and regained the lead. The game remained close down to the final minutes when Golden hit a three-pointer to tie the game at 56-56 for Weber State. He then gave the Wildcats back the lead on a layup with two minutes left in the game. A missed three-pointer from the Bengals that would have given ISU the lead with 15 seconds left was the final shot they would take as WSU freshman Ryan Richardson hit a pair of free throws to seal the win for the Wildcats.

Golden was the star of the game for the Wildcats Saturday night, scoring a career-high 24 points and pulling down a career-high seven rebounds. Golden scored 18 of his points from beyond the arc as he hit another career-high with six three-pointers. Golden wasn’t the only key for WSU, as Hill also had a big night for the Wildcats, scoring a career-high 17 points while pulling down six rebounds and making two blocks.

The Wildcats (12-15, 7-9) will finish the regular season at home this week as they host University of Idaho (13-14, 8-8) Thursday night and Eastern Washington University (21-8, 12-4) on Saturday.