Saying goodbye to Weber State University

My first day of college at Weber State for fall 2023 in my last fall semester.

Dear Weber State,
When we first met it was the fall semester of 2017. I was a freshman, just graduated from high school and a completely different person than I am now.

That first semester at Weber State University, I didn’t take my education too seriously. I didn’t realize how lucky I was to have an education like this at my fingertips, and to be completely honest, I failed two of the four classes I was taking at that time. The other two classes I barely passed.

I decided not to go back to WSU for the following spring semester in 2018. Instead, I finished up my math credits at Davis Technical College.

I would not see the walls of Weber State until about two-and-a-half years later, after I got my math credits out of the way and the pandemic had happened. The pandemic forced me to take my first semester back at WSU online in spring 2021.

Leading up to the end of that semester, I was preparing to meet with my academic adviser to get my next semester set up at WSU, when I met The Signpost adviser Jean Norman.

Norman was able to help me get set up in the right direction to study my chosen concentration, multimedia journalism. Little did I know how much this one meeting would change my life.

During the summer 2021 semester, I took Norman’s media writing class. It was my first taste of journalism at Weber State. I was obsessed with it.

At the end of that summer I got my first look at The Signpost, Weber State University’s student-run newspaper.

I still remember the feeling when I walked into that room. It was a warm summer day and I was there to meet with the photography editor so she could show me how to upload and edit the photos I took for The Signpost.

After the editor left the room, I took a look around and just knew that was where I was supposed to be. I called my family and told them all about the newsroom, what it looked like and how excited I was to be there.

Little did I know I would spend most of my time at college in that newsroom producing the paper either through photo editing or staying late for paper production.

I remember Norman telling the photographers in the fall that an assistant photo editor position was open and that The Signpost would need a photo editor after my editor graduated. I honestly didn’t think I could do it and I definitely didn’t think I would ever become an assistant editor at the paper, nonetheless an editor. But it happened.

In the spring of 2022 I became the assistant photo editor and in the summer of 2022, I was made the photo editor for The Signpost. Getting that assistant editor position and then the editor position made me feel needed and so happy.

I learned what it was like to be a journalist and I was able to practice what I loved most, photography.

The Signpost editors and staff were so fun to work with. The whole experience was completely life-changing. This was where I found my place, and believe me when I say, it became my home.

I saw the editors and staff more than I did my own family. It’s hard not to become close and make people like that your family in some way when you see them 24/7.

I ended up doing better in school by this point as well. I had promised myself that I would do better, get better grades and make sure by the time I got my bachelor’s degree that I would have succeeded in different areas at Weber State.

Fast forward to today, on weekdays I am the editor-in-chief at The Signpost, and on weekends I work as a Digital Content Producer for KSL NewsRadio. If someone told me years ago that this would happen, I would have thought they were insane.

During my time at Weber State, I’ve had the opportunity to meet people like Lynsey Addario, a renowned conflict photojournalist who video-chatted with students while she was covering the early days of the war in Ukraine.

I also got to do something I never thought I’d do at Weber State: I got to study abroad in Finland over the summer of 2023. That was an amazing experience I will never forget! It was exciting to study outside of the walls of Weber State and get to travel.

Along with that, I got to experience many events and meet new people through The Signpost. My favorite event to cover every year was Día de los Muertos. I loved taking photos of this beautiful tradition and watching movies based on the holiday while editing those photos.

I was able to learn from so many amazing professors and students, and each one will always have a special place in my heart.

One thing I learned from my college experience is that you can do whatever you put your mind to. What’s stopping you from reaching your goals? Absolutely nothing.

Don’t let anyone tell you what you can do or let anything stop you, because you are worth it and you can do anything. Change your world and change your life.

There were many days when I had to put my family aside to get homework done or do that extra credit assignment to reach my goals. That was hard. I was lucky to have a family that understood why a college education was so important to me and they only helped to push me to achieve my goals in life.

After the summer of 2022 I added onto that family by marrying my amazing husband who is so understanding and makes my life easier in many ways. His family helped me as well, pushing me to achieve my goals and celebrating every milestone along the way.

Now, at the end of the 2024 spring semester, I am sad to say goodbye to Weber State. I’ve made so many memories here that I will never forget. The only thing I can do now is let every last minute of my time here sink in.

It’s been good knowing you, Weber State University, thank you for the memories.

Love, Kennedy Camarena