The Thrive Symposium introduces Student Choice Awards for 2024

A student studies quietly outside the Weber State Student Association Center.

McKinna Baird

Every year, Weber State University hosts a faculty symposium, known as the Thrive Symposium. This year, Weber State students have the chance to nominate their favorite professor for a Student Choice Award.

The event has presentations and celebrates faculty. Presentations include posters, discussion panels, research discussions and various in-person presentations in one of five categories. These categories are entitled: Engaging mindfully with student experiences; Creating spaces of belonging; Adapting our teaching to our contemporary world; Enriching our disciplines through research and/or intellectual pursuits; and What does it mean to be a Weber State educator?

This year the symposium will be taking place in March at the Grandview Reception Center.

“[The symposium] began as a place to showcase the Presidential Teaching Excellence Award,” Rachel Cox-Vineiz, program coordinator for the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning said.

The Presidential Teaching Excellence Award includes 12 faculty members chosen by the president of the university, to recognize their outstanding performance in education.

Since its beginning, the Thrive Symposium has expanded the range of awards presented. This year, the symposium is offering an exciting new award for professors — the Student Choice Award.

“Because we’re so focused on student success and all of that, it’s important for us to get the point of view of the students,” Cox-Vineiz said.

Students can cast votes by going to the Google Form created by the symposium coordinators. The form is linked below and can also be found in an upcoming Weber State announcements email. Students have until Feb. 5 to cast their votes.

The initial form will gather nominees for the award, and then later, another vote will be cast to choose the final winner of the top nominees. The professor who receives this award will be given a plaque and a stipend.

“I think it’s important to think about the faculty members who have had the biggest impact on
your education,” Cox-Vineiz said.

Students can access the form to nominate professors at https://forms.gle/2nohUtfU4vffKyjd6