Fresh faces in WSU football

Robert Casey/Weber State Athetics
2022 Weber State Football.

After going 10–3 overall and 6–2 in the Big Sky Conference last season, Weber State University’s football team is bringing in new blood for this upcoming 2023 season.

Mickey Mental, the offensive coordinator and quarterback coach last season, was named head coach of Weber State football in the offseason.

The previous head coach, Jay Hill, went 68–39 overall in his nine seasons with the Wildcats, and he coached more games and more wins than any other Weber State coach.

With several players’ graduations after last season, there will be considerable roster changes for this upcoming season. The most noticeable change is former quarterback Bronson Barron’s transfer to Western Kentucky University.

As a Wildcat, Barron recorded 36 touchdowns and 407 completed passes out of 689 attempts, with 5,129 overall yards.

Sophomore Creyton Cooper and Juniors Kylan Weisser and Brian Harper will have the best chance at starting as the new quarterback for the Wildcats this season.

Another big change is at the starting wide receiver position, with Ty Macpherson graduating.

Last season, the Wildcats had one of the top defenses in the Big Sky. They are bringing back that same core of guys this season, with Maxwell Anderson, Marque Collins and Nasme Calvin in the secondary, who all had big seasons last season.

Linebacker Winston Reid won the preseason defensive MVP last season and is another addition to the defensive side of the ball.

Abraham Williams led the Big Sky on Special teams, with four being over 100 yards — the most in Big Sky history.

At Big Sky Media Day, Mental said their guys are projecting well, and they are growing from what Hill left, and Mental’s adding a touch of himself to the program.

“I think it’s a daily process for us understanding that we have a long-term goal and obviously [we are] competing for a National Championship, a Big Sky Championship,” Mental said.

The Wildcats will kick their season off against Central Washington University on Aug. 31.