Wildcards go digital

A screen grab of the Wildcard home page on the WSU website, showing how the Wildcard appears on phones or smart watches.

Weber State University announced at the end of the spring 2023 semester that the student ID card, or Wildcard, will be going digital. Now, after downloading two applications through either the Play or Apple app stores, students can add their Wildcard to their mobile phone wallets.

In order to access the digital card, students must download the Duo two-factor authentication app, which will also be used more during the upcoming semester as WSU moves to two-factor authentication for student eWeber accounts.

Students will need to have a photo uploaded for the Wildcard, then they will be able to access the Transact eAccounts app. After that, students can upload their ID photos to the app and add their Wildcard to their mobile wallet.

In the past, WSU students needed their physical Wildcard on them at all times for a variety of reasons, including meal plans, access to dormitory buildings and access to the campus gyms. With the digital Wildcard, students will be able to access all of those things and more through their phones, or any smartphone with the Duo and eAccounts apps installed.

However, once students upload their Wildcard to their phone, their physical card will no longer work, according to the WSU website. Though having a digital Wildcard is more convenient, there are concerns over having to choose between a physical and digital card, especially when phones die or if students are unable to access their phones for one reason or another.

There are also questions about the digital Wildcard that have not yet been addressed, such as when it comes to the testing centers, which require a valid ID to be shown, and whether a digital Wildcard will work in those cases.