Letter to the editor 9/15/22

Editor’s note: Letters to the editors are in rebuttal and in response to material previously published. These letters do not reflect the views of The Signpost and should not be taken as such.

In response to the article “Discussing equity” published in August 29th’s edition:

In 2021, I graduated from WSU with a total of 3 degrees, 2 in math and one general
studies. A week before graduation, I attended a WSU BSU meeting. I listened to each
BSU member as each person presented their case that WSU was a racist University
before the audience. I remained quite until my turn to speak to the panel of students.
However, as I spoke, some members of that panel unsuccessfully tried to shouted me
down infringing on my rights for a rebuttal to their premature assertions. One of the
panel members even called me a racial slur–a token. In addition, these students totally
ignored WSU’s sacred student code.

I explained why WSU is not a racist school! I have attend WSU since 2005 long
before WSU CME as I know today. The CME director is also my mentor. I’ve watched
many students graduate because of her and her staff’s devotion to all students who walk
into the CME doors. I assisted in the selection of key staff members as a student.
These outstanding individuals bring their A-Game expertise to CME everyday!

I have received numerous university scholarships from the CME, math/physics
departments to include one science award to study the Milky Way’s super massive black
holes. I have participated in numerous campus activities to include First Robotics,
tutoring students in math and atmospheric research in southern Utah. I was also voted
twice in two semesters as the Math Club president whose membership grew to 22-plus–
both non-math students and math majors.

I also a retired as 20-year military VET who believes in this country and real selfless
sacrifice for one’s country. While serving in the military, I provided humanitarian relief
in Uganda and Somalia. I was station in both Japan and South Korea and even set foot
in North Korea. I’ve earned numerous medals and awards from my commanders.
I live the American dream–own my house and have a very high paying space industry
job right after graduation!

However, I owe my outstanding professors, fellow students, CME department and others
the truth. WSU is the best University I’ve ever attended, because “WSU cares so much
about you and your future.” I’ve attended several Universities. In a path forward, this
newspaper should always seek a second opinion. At least this time, I have the last say.

Mike Simpson (WSU CME, BSU and WSU Alum)