Famous ’Cats: Know your legends

Weber State University has been home to many incredible athletes over the years. Athletes who calls themselves Wildcats bleed purple and breathe white. They strive for greatness and achieve the undeniable success they know this hallowed institution deserves. Here are a few of our greatest legends.

Lindsey Anderson

BLPSOMZNXMQTZZO.20140210172809.jpg
Lindsey Anderson, #10 (Source: Weber State Athletics)

Lindsey Anderson is a former Weber State University track-and-field athlete and the first WSU athlete to ever qualify to compete in the Summer Olympics. She is a nine-time Big Sky Conference champion and a two-time NCAA All-American.

Anderson, a Utah native, began her Wildcat career in 2004. By the time she entered her senior year, she had achieved multiple all-conference honors, won the Big Sky championship in the steeplechase and had been named WSU track and field team MVP.

In her senior year, Anderson became a Weber State legend, taking first place in not only the steeplechase but also the 5,000 meters and 10,000 meters. That made Anderson the first athlete in Big Sky history to win all three of those distance events at the same championship.

Anderson’s crowning achievement came in 2008 when she competed for team USA at the Beijing Summer Olympics. She qualified by beating her personal record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase by over nine seconds.

Anderson is now an assistant coach for the WSU track-and-field team.

Damian Lillard

2011 vs USU (BryanButterfield).jpg
Damian Lillard, center, is hugged by a teammate following a WSU win against Utah State University during the Big Sky Conference in 2011. (The Signpost Archives)

Damian Lillard is a former member of the Weber State University men’s basketball team. He is best known as a two-time NBA All-Star and the unanimous 2013 NBA rookie of the year.

As a Wildcat, Lillard began to shine as soon as he hit the court. He was first-team All Big Sky and was named Big Sky freshman of the year. Lillard was named the Big Sky Player of the Year as a sophomore.

Following a year off due to an injury, Lillard led the nation in scoring for most of the year as a redshirt junior. He was named once again as the Big Sky Player of the year.

Lillard was selected by the Portland Trailblazers as the number six overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft. He was the highest drafted player ever out of Weber State.

Lillard is also known for his skill as a rapper and hip-hop artist. He released his debut album in 2016, entitled “The Letter O.” In one of the tracks, “Wasatch Front,” he opens up about his journey at Weber State.

Jeremy Senglin

Mens Basketball 1-27-2017. (Dalton Flandro)  (14 of 33).jpg
Jeremy Senglin, #30, scores against Idaho State on Jan. 27, 2017. (The Signpost Archives)

Jeremy Senglin was a member of the men’s basketball team through the 2016–17 season.

Senglin broke the Big Sky and Weber State records for single season and career 3-pointers in the 2016–17 season. He earned First Team All-District honors from the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC).

Senglin scored a season total of 719 points, the second most in Weber State history. He scored in double digits in all but four games over the 2016–17 season. Senglin also scored at least 20 points in 25 of this season’s games.

Senglin received national attention during the 2016–17 season for his high volume 3-point shooting. He finished the season second in the nation in 3-pointers per game and sixth in the nation in 3-point percentage.

His record 132 3-pointers during the 2016–17 season set new Weber State and Big Sky records. Senglin also holds the WSU and Big Sky record for career 3-pointers at 345.

Senglin set a new Weber State career scoring record of 2,078 points during the 2017 Big Sky championship game.

Alfred Pupunu

Alfred Pupunu is a former member of the Weber State University football team. Pupunu transferred to WSU before his junior year and played with the Wildcats in 1990 and 1991.

Pupunu was a tight end and set the Weber State and Big Sky record for most receptions in a single year with 93. That record was the best in the NCAA Division I-AA, now called the Football Championship Subdivision.

Pupunu was named as an NCAA All-American his senior year. He was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1992.

Pupunu played for 10 years in the NFL for four different teams. He scored a touchdown for the San Diego Chargers in the 1995 AFC title game, and he caught four passes in Super Bowl XXIX with the team.

Pupunu was inducted in the Weber State University Hall of Fame in February 2005. He is entering his first year as the tight ends coach at Weber State.