Athlete of the week: Kyler Dearden, men’s golf

HABJYHPJRHAHLMG.20170316170849.jpg
Weber State’s Kyler Dearden has been named the Big Sky Golfer of the Week for his play during the Jackrabbit Invitational last weekend. (Source: Weber State Athletics)

Weber State Athlete | Kyler Dearden | Men’s Golf

Weber State University golfer Kyler Dearden was named the Big Sky Golfer of the Week for the week of March 15.

He won the honor for his play during the Jackrabbit Invitational at the Siera Golf Club in Las Vagas, Nevada.

Dearden shot an impressive 212 total for the 54-hole tournament. He finished the tournament in a tie for 15th place. This finish was his second top 20 finish this season.

It is also Dearden’s best finish since his debut for the Wildcats, when he tied for seventh place.

Dearden had 13 birdies and one eagle over his three rounds, putting his final score at four under par.

Dearden opened the tournament carding a one-under-par round of 71. That score tied his career low in tournament play.

Dearden’s afternoon round resulted in a new personal best. In the second round, he shot a dominant 67.

Dearden had an eagle and six birdies to help him get to the 67 and five-under for the tournament at the end of the first day.

The 67 that Dearden posted was only was only bested by two golfers in the tournament. In his third round, he shot a 74, his highest round of the weekend.

Daerden’s work carried the Wildcats into sixth place in the tournament. The sixth place finish pushed Weber State past in-state rivals Utah State University and Southern Utah University, who placed seventh and eighth respectively.

Dearden’s next tournament will be the Wyoming Cowboy Classic in Chandler, Arizona. The tournament will be held from April 10–11.

SPORTS BKN-JAZZ-HORNETS 2 CH
Charlotte Hornets center Cody Zeller, right, appears to have lost his head as Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert, right, goes for a block during first half action on Monday, Jan. 18, 2016, at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, N.C. (Source: Tribune News Service)

Professional Athlete | Rudy Gobert | Basketball

Utah Jazz big man Rudy Gobert has been a force to be reckoned with this season.

On March 27, Gobert became the first player to record at least 20 points, 19 rebounds and five blocks in any game since the Jazz moved to Utah, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Gobert’s leadership was recently questioned after he criticized the competitive spirit of his teammates to the media.

His rant came after a disappointing loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on March 25. After his public complaints, Gobert sat down in private with the rest of the team.

Gobert said, “We discussed everything. I think it was good to talk to each other.”

Since he became a starter for the Jazz in 2015, Gobert has been an elite defender. Now, he is producing on the offensive side of the ball as well.

Gobert is averaging 13.8 points per game, which puts him in third among all Jazz players and has a team best 0.659 field goal percentage.

Gobert has led the Jazz to the fourth seed in the west, and they are ranked among the top ten teams in ESPN’s power rankings.

With his current level of play, Gobert could garner a few MVP votes at the end of the year and will likely be Defensive Player of the Year.