Athletes of the week

11-7 Football v. UC Davis (Ariana Berkemeier) (8 of 17).jpg
Freshman Treshawn Garrett runs with the ball to score a touchdown during the first half against UC Davis last season. (Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)

Weber State University Athlete – Treshawn Garrett (Football)

Although the 2016-17 Wildcat football debut didn’t go as planned — dropping 45-6 to Utah State University in Logan — one player in particular stood out from the rest.

Sophomore running back Treshawn Garrett finished the game with 96 rushing yards out of the total 108 yards rushed by the Wildcats during the game.

Garrett rushed for the only Wildcat touchdown in the final minute of the first half of the game, setting the score 21-6 just before before halftime.

As a freshman, Garrett played in all 11 games for WSU — starting six of them as a true freshman running back.

Garrett finished the 2015-16 season with an average of 51.1 rushing yards per game and 123 carries for 562 yards and five rushing touchdowns, tying for the most rushing touchdowns executed by a player on the team.

Professional Athlete – Andrew Luck (NFL)

SPORTS FBN-BRONCOS-COLTS 2 MCT
Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck (12) throws during first half action on Sunday, Nov. 8, 2015, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. (Sam Riche/TNS)

As the NFL 2016-17 season kicks off the second week in September, one quarterback has been drawing a lot of attention to himself — for many reasons.

Andrew Luck will return to play for the Indianapolis Colts after an injury-plagued season in 2015-16.

In June 2016, Luck signed a six-year extension contract with the Colts organization, worth $140 million — $87 million guaranteed — making him the highest paid player in the National Football League.

In his 2012 debut season, Luck surpassed Cam Newton’s record of most yards thrown in a game by a rookie quarterback with 433.

In week 17 of the 2014-15 season, Luck broke Peyton Manning’s franchise record for passing yards in a single-season: 4,374.

In 2014, Luck led his team to the AFC Divisional Championship after defeating Manning and the Denver Broncos, 24-13. The Colts lost in the AFC Championship round 45-7 to Tom Brady and the New England Patriots as the “deflate-gate” scandal arose.

Fans of the white and blue have high hopes for their young quarterback this upcoming season after he has overcome a kidney laceration and negotiated the new contract.