German Fest in Ogden

This year marks the 30 year anniversary of the Sneddon’s HOF German Winter Festival. The festival is held in celebration of Ogden’s sister city, Hof, Germany. It began in 1986 with the help of Ogden City Councilman Scott Sneddon.

According to HOF GermanFest’s webpage, this will be their biggest entertainment lineup ever. The award winning Gruber Family Band is among the headliners. This German music band is based out of Northern California and has a long-standing family tradition in German music.Hof_Michaeliskirche_Ludwigstrasse (1)

There will be food prepared by 2002 Winter Olympic Games German House Master Chef Siegfried Meier. Vossen’s Paradise Bakery, a German bakery located in Salt Lake City, will also be laying out a spread of baked goods.

The Weber State University Institute Alumni Folk Dancers will also be in attendance to entertain the crowds in the evening.

“The purpose of the festival is to raise money for scholarships at Weber State,” Debbie Shelton, vendor coordinator of the HOF GermanFest, said.

Shelton also believes that students should attend the festival for the cross cultural experience. There will be yodeling lessons offered to those who want to learn and a variety of dances that showcase German culture.

The HOF GermanFest is happening Jan. 22 and 23. The festival is open from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m each day. The event will take place at the Golden Spike Event Center in Ogden. For more information, go to http://www.hofgermanfest.com.