Sport Brief 10/30/15

Harrison garners national honor

The 2015 College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) named Senior Forward Mackenzie Harrison to the Academic All-District team for her achievements on the field and in the classroom.

Harrison has had a productive season netting six goals and four assists for a total of 16 offensive points for the team, and is the first wildcat to earn this honor since 2008. In her academic career she has maintained a 3.74 GPA as a health promotions major.

Cross country to participate in the Big Sky Conference Championship

Both the Men’s and Women’s cross country teams will begin the championship part of their season in Cedar City as Southern Utah University will play host for this years conference championship.

The women’s team, which is nationally ranked, is one of the favorite to win the competition. WSU has three All-conference runners returning for this years competition and is the only team in the big sky to be nationally ranked in this meet.

The Mens team, which has no All-conference runners returning, finished third last season at the conference meet. The men’s team has won seven championships, but have not won one since 2006. Northern Arizona University—winner of 11 of the last 12 championship meets—is the favorite going into this meet.

Wildcats compete at the ITA Regional Tournament

The WSU men’s tennis team finished up their fall season competing at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regional tournament at the University of New Mexico this past week.

The players performed well, and though few advanced far, positive performances were had by all of the players from the team. The most positive performance came from Senior Jakub Gewert who, after advancing through the first and second rounds, fell to fourth seeded Parker McGuiness from the University of Utah.

In the doubles tournament consolation bracket, Gewert and senior Todd Fought advanced all the way to the final round but were not able to win the championship, losing to Odon Barta and Felipe Fonseca from the University of Idaho.