Get your geek on at Weber State's Wyvern club

WSU's gaming club sit down to play a game of Dungeons and Dragons.
WSU’s gaming club sit down to play a game of Dungeons and Dragons.

Do you enjoy board games? What about video and strategy games? Have you ever found yourself getting into an anime show? If any of these apply to you, Weber State University’s Wyvern club is the group to join.

“Gaming night is just kind of a nice night to relax and have fun, bring whatever you want to play in,” Club President Jules Britt said. “If you’ve got a console game, we usually have projectors up, so you can play on the projectors.”

All games are welcome at gaming night, from “Dungeons and Dragons” to “Cards Against Humanity.”

“Different games require different strategies, which require you to think in interesting and abstract ways sometimes,” club member John Gale said. “In one game, I’d think and play this way while in another I’d think another way.”

There’s no official schedule from week to week, which gives Wyvern’s members freedom to bring and play any game they might want to try. Though board and PC games are played more commonly, console games are also accepted. Gale said that during his time as club president, the club raised enough money to buy a computer for club members to use, and just recently, the club received a donated Xbox.

Gale said the club provides a place for students to relax from the stresses involved with classes.

“It’s a time to relax and be able to spend some time socializing,” Gale said. “As students, we tend to spend a lot of time obsessing over class and whether or not we’re going to pass … [but] show up whenever you want, and it’s a fun time. If you just want to hang out and watch, if you just want to come and talk to people, it’s perfectly fine.”

Wyvern is a joint-club, with both the gaming club as well as the anime club included. The gaming section meets on Wednesdays from 6:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. while the anime portion meets Thursdays from 7 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Both clubs meet in room 404 of the Shepherd Union Building.