What's happening in December

It’s time to deck the halls and enjoy the last month of the year. Read on to find out all that December has to offer.

(Gary Malerba/Detroit Free Press/MCT)
(Gary Malerba/Detroit Free Press/MCT)

Dec. 1

The countdown has begun!  With 24 days until Christmas, how will you celebrate?

Dec. 2

Following Thanksgiving, the days are dedicated to waiting in lines at mass retailers and scoring hot deals. Giving Tuesday, however, is an international day to support charities and giving back.

Dec. 5

You’re in the home stretch! Today is the last day of classes. Finals begin in just a few days, and then it’s winter break! Now go ace those finals!

Dec. 6

Leave a gift of candies, cookies or small toys in someone’s shoes per the European tradition of St. Nicholas Day.

Dec. 7

Twenty years ago today marks the attack on the American naval base at Pearl Harbor. Fly your American flag at half-staff for Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

Dec. 10

Today is dedicated to encouraging remembrance of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Human Rights Day is celebrated to educate and protect the rights of people worldwide.

Dec. 11

Today is International Mountain Day! In celebration, hit the slopes, take a hike or even just enjoy the picturesque landscape for the day that seems best suited for Utah.

Dec. 13

Icing? Check. Hard candies? Check. Friends and family? Check. Enjoy a sweet holiday tradition for Gingerbread Decorating Day.

Dec. 16

Pull out the menorah and the dreidel, because Hanukkah starts tonight!

Dec. 17

Commemorate the anniversary of the first successful flight on Wright Brothers Day. In 1903 in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, the daring brothers witnessed the first flight of a mechanically propelled airplane.

Dec. 19

Whether you choose a fir, spruce, pine or synthetic, set aside some time to search for the best Christmas tree you can find in honor of Look for an Evergreen Day.

Dec. 21

Settle in for the longest night of the year, because today is the winter solstice. In some cultures, the winter solstice marks a period of new beginning and new growth.

Dec. 25

Merry Christmas! Enjoy your holiday break by celebrating with friends and family.

Dec. 28

Forget Friday the 13. Some cultures consider Dec. 28 the unluckiest day of the year. As a result, any marriage or new venture taken on this day was thought to be doomed.

Dec. 31

It’s time to ring in the New Year! Revel in every last minute of 2014 by celebrating until the clock strikes midnight.

So enjoy your winter vacation and find delight in the holiday cheer of December.