Apple announces the iPhone 6

Apple CEO Tim Cook introduces the iPhone 6 and the Apple smartwatch at the Flint Center on Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014, in Cupertino, Calif. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group/MCT)

It is impossible to go out somewhere and not see people passing by with an iPhone clutched in their palms.

Despite the fact that iPhones dominate a huge part of the smartphone market, people can’t help but wonder what the new iPhone offers.

Now that pre-orders have began, it is time to pick apart what users can expect to see from Apple with the release of its new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

One of the biggest complaints about the iPhone 5/5s is the poor battery life. The iPhone 5 seems to leave users in need of recharging their phone several times a day to prevent it from dying early on in the evening after a day of normal use. The new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus promises to fix this problem.

According to information released by Apple the iPhone 6 will have a slightly better battery life, but the iPhone 6 Plus will give users the kind of battery life they want. The iPhone 5/5s allowed users on average about 40 hours of audio use after a fresh charge, whereas the new iPhone 6 boasts an increase in this time by 10 hours. The iPhone 6 Plus however doubles the original time of 40 hours.

Cody Bohin, a freshman at Weber State University,  is planning to purchase the new iPhone 6 with more information, “I currently have an iPhone 5 and I plan on purchasing the new one once reviews come out on it. I have heard that the battery life will be improved which is important to me.”

New updates from Apple have been reporting a change to the size of the device. The iPod’s size has drastically decreased over the years whereas the iPhones are continually growing in size with each new release. The iPhone 6 is going to come in 2 different sizes: 4.7 and 5.5 inches.

In addition to having a larger display than past iPhones, the iPhone 6 is only going to be 6.9 millimeters thick – the thinnest iPhone that has been released. The iPhone 5s is 7.6 mm thick which is a little less than a millimeter thicker than the iPhone 6.

However, not all students are excited for the new iPhone release.

Shawntel Crockett, a sophomore at Weber State University said, “I haven’t really heard about the iPhone 6 release. I don’t own an iPhone and I don’t plan on it since I’ve heard bad things about them.”

Many major cell phone companies have already let the public know that they will be carrying the iPhone 6 on its release date, those included are: Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, U.S. Cellular and C Spire. This is a huge step for U.S. Cellular since it initially was behind in the game during the previous release of the iPhone 5.

With iPhones being used for anything from Angry Birds to managing bank accounts, it is important that users have a phone processor that can handle all the tasks that are being thrown at it during the day. The iPhone 6 is promising a faster processor, an A8 to be more specific, which will prevent the iPhone 6 from lagging and freezing up on users.

Jessica Woodford, a student at Weber State seemed content with her current iPhone, she told The Signpost, “I currently have the iPhone 5s. I haven’t heard anything besides the release date for the iPhone 6 but I plan on sticking with the iPhone I have now.”

What good is a fast processor if the WiFi connection is lagging in speed? Users don’t need to fret too much because Apple has said the the new iPhone 6 will have WiFi speeds up to six times faster than the iPhone 5/5s. Apple has also said that the iPhone 6 will support more LTE bands which is good news for iPhone users that are on the go during most of the day.

Pre-orders for the new iPhone 6 began Sept. 12, and the iPhone 6 will be released Sept. 19.