WSU women's basketball hires new assistant coach

New Weber State women's basketball assistant coach, Laura Terry.
(Source: Weber State Athletics)
New Weber State women’s basketball assistant coach, Laura Terry

The Weber State women’s basketball team announced on Thursday the hiring of new assistant coach, Laura Terry.

The Wildcats had an opening in the coaching staff after former WSU assistant coach Penny Jones was hired as the head coach of the Pensacola State College women’s basketball team in March.

“Right now, I’m just really excited for the opportunity that (Wildcats head coach Bethann Ord) has given me,” Terry said. “I’m really, really glad to be here, and I’m ready to get started.”

Terry joins the Wildcats after spending the last two seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Western Kentucky University. In her first season with the WKU Lady Toppers, the team improved 13 wins over the previous season, setting a Sun Belt Conference record for largest win improvement.

Last season, the Lady Toppers won the Sun Belt Conference title, advancing to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the 2007-08 season. The Lady Toppers lost to the No. 2 Baylor Bears 87-74 in the first round of the tournament.

“(Terry) comes from a championship program,” Ord said, noting Western Kentucky University head coach Michelle Clark-Heard gave her the chance to try a lot of things.

Ord has seen Terry grow since Terry’s playing days from 2007 to 2010 at the University of Louisville, where Ord was assistant coach. When Terry missed time due to injuries, Ord said, Terry would spend hours working with and learning from the coaching staff.

Because of Terry’s playing experience as well as her time with the coaches, Ord says she thinks Terry will be able to significantly help the team’s post players.

Terry and the Wildcats will look to build off of last season’s improvements when the season starts this fall.