Wildcats make comeback win against Northern Colorado

Northern Colorado going after a Weber State football player with the ball. Photo taken in September 2022.

In the aftermath of a challenging 40–0 loss to Montana State University in the Big Sky Conference opener, Weber State University’s football team demonstrated resilience with a resounding 28–21 victory over the University of Northern Colorado. The Wildcats mounted an impressive comeback, scoring 21 unanswered points and securing three interceptions in the fourth quarter to seal the game.

Additionally, trailing 21–7 with 6:34 remaining in the fourth quarter, Weber State staged a remarkable turnaround, scoring three touchdowns to secure the win.

The Wildcats began the scoring on their opening drive, embarking on a ten play, 75 yard journey culminating in Kris Jackson’s 3 yard rushing touchdown. Northern Colorado swiftly responded with a similar 75 yard drive and a touchdown of their own. Although the extra point was blocked by Weber State’s Matt Herron.

Following a missed field goal attempt by Weber State, Northern Colorado orchestrated a 15-play, 78-yard drive that took over seven minutes of game time that resulted in another touchdown. The Bears led with a 20-yard rushing touchdown, adding a two point conversion to make it 21–7 with 4:44 left in the second quarter.

The game remained scoreless until the fourth quarter when Weber State’s quarterback Kylan Weisser, contributed a 1 yard, rushing touchdown, narrowing the gap to 21–14. A crucial interception by Abraham Williams set Jackson up for a 5-yard touchdown with 2:28 remaining in the fourth quarter. Winston Reid then intercepted a Northern Colorado pass, returning it for a 40-yard touchdown, giving the Wildcats a 28–21 advantage with 1:46 left to play. Garrett Beck sealed the victory with yet another interception.

While Northern Colorado amassed 385 yards compared to Weber State’s 378, the Wildcats displayed a balanced offensive performance with a total of 201 passing yards and 177 rushing yards. Individually, Jackson led the ground game with 20 carries for 105 yards, and he had two touchdowns. Weisser completed 14 of 29 passes for 201 yards, but also recorded three interceptions. Haze Hadley led the receiving corps with three catches for 55 yards.

On the defensive side of the ball, in addition to the three interceptions, Reid led the Wildcats with 10 tackles, Nadeem Colvin contributed nine, Jack Kelly recorded eight tackles.

Following two demanding matchups against the University of Utah and Montana State University, the Wildcats made an impressive comeback, improving their record to 3–2. They are now preparing for consecutive home games at Stewart Stadium, hosting Northern Arizona University on Oct. 7 and University of California, Davis, on Oct. 14. Both games will be kicking off at 6 p.m.