Two new wins for Wildcat hockey

Forward position Rob Simmons, facing off against Boise State defensemen player, Camden Gallagher, during their game on Oct. 28, 2022.

Weber State University’s men’s hockey club had a successful first month of their season, with four wins under their belt, three of them being shutouts. The Wildcats’ first away game versus Utah Valley University on Sept. 23 ended with a score of 13–0 for the Wildcats. On Sept. 29, the Wildcats went up against Idaho State University and won 28–0.

Sept. 29 was Idaho State’s first ever hockey game. The team has grown quickly in a short period of time and has worked hard to be where they are at.

The Wildcats had 15 goal scorers and four hat tricks. Minutes into the game, Kevin Norward found forward Egor Khomyakov, who had a good opportunity for a wrist shot. Khomyakov had three goals and three assists, and Norward had two goals and six assists. Cory Mater also had three goals and two assists. Tucker Thorstad had three goals and two assists.

Rigo Aceves had the first goal ever as a Wildcat which followed with two more goals as the game continued. Aceves is from La Habra, California, and recently started playing for Weber as a defenseman. He formerly played for the Ogden Mustangs this past season, which introduced him to the area and fans.

In hockey, three 20-minute periods are played with two 15-minute breaks in between. On average, the Wildcats scored a goal every two minutes, the most ever for the Wildcats. The first period ended with 10 goals, the second period with 24 and the final period with four more.

This season, the Wildcats have 11 new faces on the team. Two new defensemen, six forwards, and three new goalies. Nine of the new players are from outside of Utah and two of them are from Canada — Nick Demchuk is from Oakbank, Manitoba; and Louis Poliquin is from Montreal, Quebec. This makes the Weber hockey team having three players from outside of the United States.

Weber State hockey offers a competitive competition in the American Collegiate Hockey Association. With an electric atmosphere and exciting games. The Weber State Wildcats will have their next game against the University of Providence in Great Falls, Montana, on Oct. 5. The puck drops at 7:15 p.m.